Charging Issues or Too Much Data?

aalb1

Reaction score
I just went on an 8 hour road trip with my Droid2 plugged into the Car Mount. I had GPS & Pandora on the whole time. When I got out of the car within 20 minutes my phone's 15% battery warning went off.

I started to investigate this even more. When I'm not running anything the battery charges "seemingly" OK. When I'm running GPS the battery charges very slowly. When I'm running GPS & Pandora the battery actually gets drained as if the charger can't keep up with it.

Does anybody else have this issue? I'm wondering if the issue resides in the battery, car mount, charger, or a combo of all of the above.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forum!

The 3G antenna is a power hog, but the GPS is horrible. Couple that with the screen being on as much as I'm sure it was and you have battery kill. What's your charger rated at, mAh-wise?

OP
A

aalb1

Reaction score
800mah...

If its not the charger but rather the data issue then its a real shame that they didn't design the car charger to handle that much power demand.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The wall charger is only 50mAh higher, IIRC. As such I don't know if the circuit can take advantage of any higher miliAmp offerings.

Was the screen on the whole way? If so you should try turning it off the next time. The screen draws a fair whack of juice too.