charging from computer USB port is too slow

Perfexion

Reaction score
I am running into the issue of my phone not wanting to charge from some of the USB ports on my computer. Its really a pain when I get disconnected while tethering because my phone died after refusing to charge from one of my USB ports. It tends to always happen when I try to connect it to auxilary USB ports such as the one on my keyboard, and sometimes happens when I connect to the USB ports on the computer itself. The wall charger always gets the job done however.

BuzWeaver

Reaction score
It started from last Friday, when I plugged the droid into my computer USB port to charge it. The charging couldn't keep pace with the power consumption, and eventually the phone shut down automatically without waking up on itself for about an hour. From then on, I cannot even rely on car charger or computer charging to make a phone call when the battery is below 5%. Today, I left the phone charging via computer for an hour. After I came back, it still showed 40%, no increase at all, but the upper part (guess where the CPU is?) is hot.

I felt something is just not right.

I may be overstating the obvious, however I've found that if you shut off your Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, GPS and or any running Apps the phone will charge a lot faster.

cuskit

Reaction score
You should also be aware that your MicroUSB cable can also make a big difference. Some cheaper cables are only low speed cables as opposed to a good quality high speed cable. This has been discussed elsewhere on another thread. Cables rated at 28/28 gauge will not charge as quickly as cables rated at 28/24 gauge, usually the rating reserved for high speed USB cables. Cheap cables are never a good investment..

To clarify - the two numbers refer to the thickness of each pair of wires encased in the USB cable (one is used for power and the other for data). Higher numbers (28) equate to a thinner (cheaper) gauge while lower numbers (24) are the thicker gauge wire. mike