Chargers that will rapid charge (there is some misinformation in forum about AC mode)

joekess

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got my Verizon Gnex about three weeks ago and have been perusing the forum to find the right secondary and car chargers. The concensus seemed to be that, in order to rapid charge the phone, we need a 5v charger that puts out at least 1 amp with 2 preferred.

Also, others point out correctly that plugging into the wall charger yields a "charging (AC)" mode under the Settings app in "about phone" then "status." Plugging into a lower powered charger, the Status shows "Charging (USB)."

The part that I am afraid is incorrect if that plugging into a charger with more amperage will a) cause the phone to enter a rapid charge mode and b) show "Charging (AC)" in the Status display.

Here are the results of my testing:

plugging into the 1 amp wall charger that comes with the phone, I see Charging (AC);

plugging into my iPad's USB hub wall charger (10 watt = 2 amp), the Gnex disappointingly shows Charging (USB);

plugging the phone into my new 2 hub car adapter shows Charging (USB) on either side (one side is 1 amp, the other is 2.1 amps).

Thus, except for the Samsung wall charger, nothing causes my phone to show AC mode.

So what is the right thing to do for car or other chargers? I suspect (but don't for sure) that there is nothing wrong with the phone showing USB mode and that the phone will charge at its peak speed as long as the charger puts out 1 amp or more. Conversely, lower powered chargers will work too but will take longer to reach full charge. (Additionally, a low powered charger (e.g., one half amp) may not fully power the phone's nav or music streaming needs in a car.)

Does this seem right to you? Have you been able to get a car charger to show AC mode? Does AC mode make a difference?

I have seen 1 amp chargers for as little as $5. It may not make sense to spend more for a 2 amp charger. I just did and am now thinking "at least I can charge my iPad in the car."

OP
J

joekess

Reaction score
Yes, exactly!

I just returned my $25 3.1amp USB charger and ordered a $5.34 Motorola car charger via Amazon that is not USB (it has a built in non data cord) and will rapid charge our phones in AC mode.

Nice to have this solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

???

Reaction score
yes, because i have a old blackberry charger here that puts out 800ma and it shows up ac charging. the charger not how much it puts out.

SniperDroid

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got my Verizon Gnex about three weeks ago and have been perusing the forum to find the right secondary and car chargers. The concensus seemed to be that, in order to rapid charge the phone, we need a 5v charger that puts out at least 1 amp with 2 preferred.

Also, others point out correctly that plugging into the wall charger yields a "charging (AC)" mode under the Settings app in "about phone" then "status." Plugging into a lower powered charger, the Status shows "Charging (USB)."

The part that I am afraid is incorrect if that plugging into a charger with more amperage will a) cause the phone to enter a rapid charge mode and b) show "Charging (AC)" in the Status display.

Here are the results of my testing:

plugging into the 1 amp wall charger that comes with the phone, I see Charging (AC);

plugging into my iPad's USB hub wall charger (10 watt = 2 amp), the Gnex disappointingly shows Charging (USB);

plugging the phone into my new 2 hub car adapter shows Charging (USB) on either side (one side is 1 amp, the other is 2.1 amps).

Thus, except for the Samsung wall charger, nothing causes my phone to show AC mode.

So what is the right thing to do for car or other chargers? I suspect (but don't for sure) that there is nothing wrong with the phone showing USB mode and that the phone will charge at its peak speed as long as the charger puts out 1 amp or more. Conversely, lower powered chargers will work too but will take longer to reach full charge. (Additionally, a low powered charger (e.g., one half amp) may not fully power the phone's nav or music streaming needs in a car.)

Does this seem right to you? Have you been able to get a car charger to show AC mode? Does AC mode make a difference?

I have seen 1 amp chargers for as little as $5. It may not make sense to spend more for a 2 amp charger. I just did and am now thinking "at least I can charge my iPad in the car."

I can't tell you about any of that "1 amp - 2 amp - 10 watt" crap... but the Four dollar car charger I bought off of Ebay when I got my OG Droid charges up the GNex in a rapid charge fashion, and shows 'Charging A/C'. I can run the GPS on nav and use the phone, and positively charge the Nexus. Keep looking until you get one that works for you. Four Dollars on Ebay, free shipping.

???

Reaction score
i can also say it can have something to do with the cable too.
i have a usb cable i got from amazon because it was cheap and long. with it pluged into the nexus wall charger my nexus says usb charging. switch back to the usb cable that came with it and it says ac charging.

the blackberry ac wall charger is the old type that doesnt have a usb type of female jack.just a twin wires out to a micro usb for the phone.

so deff some stuff going on here... if you have a usb type of car charger, test the cable on the stock wall charger before doing the pin solder mod.

pdc419

Reaction score
My og Droid charger shows up as AC

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kgrant341

Reaction score
My Verizon car charger says charging (AC)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ænyoc

Reaction score
I've got a weird one for ya. I have 2 usb plug chargers for my GNex. The Samsung wall charger that came in the box and the no-name dual ac/car adapter that came with the Costco accessory pack.

-Samsung wall charger: I get Charging (AC), no matter which of the 2 usb cables I use.

-AC/Car adapter and the cable that it came with, I get charging (AC) regardless if I'm plugged in to the wall or my car.
However, I can't use this to transfer any data to/from my computer, only charge. (Forgot to see check if this reports USB or AC... will check when I get home.)​

-AC/Car adapter & cable that came with the Samsung wall charger. Reports Charging (USB) with the ac/car adapter, regardless if it's AC or Car. Reports Charging (USB) from all the USB ports on my laptop. However, I have a usb port that will charge accessories while the computer is off as long as it's plugged into the wall. This will report Charging (AC) and as soon as I turn on my computer, it goes to Charging (USB). The "charge when off" port is the only one that will report Charging (AC) and again, only when the computer is off. This is the only cable I have that works with data transfer.

-As a side note, I tried the data cable from a friend's Bionic and my computer wouldn't recognize my phone. So again, the only cable I've successfully been able to transfer data with is the Samsung cable. And the the only way I can get Charging (AC) from that cable is if a) my computer is off, or b) I carry my Samsung wall charger with me... unfortunately, this defeats the convenience of having the dual charger.

???

Reaction score
My Verizon car charger says charging (AC)

just checked my girlfriend's and it does as well.

Here's the model number for anyone that wants it enough to buy thru Verizon

808phoneaddict

Reaction score
When charging in car or in the wall I get "AC", only when plugged into the comp thru the USB do I get USB....all car and wall chargers include an old blackberry charger, two different Verizon car chargers, and even a griffen FM broadcaster with a USB charging plug....all read "AC"

Galaxy Nexus in the house via Tapatalk!!!

pedxing

Reaction score
Usb vs ac charging is simply a matter of the two middle pins on the charger or the cable being shorted. It's a 2 minute fix with a charger you don't mind cracking open and a soldering gun.

However, not all chargers are created equally. Two that I've tried will not charge my galaxy nexus when using even streaming music and screen always on at a low brightness setting. My Verizon charger works perfectly but has a non detachable cable that's annoying. I have a cable I've run under the dash that I'd prefer to use.

Anyone have any good recommendations for the fast charger only with no cable?

Fyi, I've tried a schosh (sp?) And one by htc.

Rorence

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone
Twitter
Aloce
Nice post, guys. The first charger to me is a power inverter. When I'm travelling around, I prefer to take a power inverter with me to charger camera. Since I hate the situation that the camera without electricity. So the inverter is necessary for me. Last year, friend recommends Bestek 400w power inverter to me. I got it on Bestekmall. Hope this simple point is useful to you.