12v charging of DX with aftermarked cable

jimisbell

Reaction score
I have two aftermarket usb data cables. BOTH work fine on the indoor AC charger that came from Verizon. Both charge the phone when connected to the stock Motorola AC charger.

BUT neither will charge the phone when plugged into the aftermarket 12V-USB charger IF THE PHONE IS TURNED ON. But if the phone is turned off they charge the phone as the green LED on the upper left lights up solid. It immediately goes out if I boot the phone.

Any ideas how to cure this without paying $40 for a Motorola in car charger?

One solution I am considering is getting a small AC inverter to run on the cars 12V and using the AC charger from the house, but this is a Rube Goldberg solution and I would prefer knowing what I have to modify to make the 12V-USB to work ALL THE TIME.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Is the aftermarket 12V-USB charger putting out enough voltage/amps?

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
I dont know. The voltage must be ok as it works when the phone is turned off, but maybe the phone is too much of a load and is pulling the voltage down. It wont be easy to test that?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I use the $20 Verizon charger I got for my BB to charge my D1, DI, X and now its charging my TB.

skennelly

Reaction score
I have the in car charger as well as an inverter with usb port. I will say that the inverter charges the phone in about 1/2 the time as the vzw car charger. It leads me to believe that the voltage isn't regulated doing it this way and is possibly bad/unsafe to charge this way. I would spend the money on a car charger and avoid non-manufacterer brands as to avoid issues.

Sent from my DROIDX

xan

Reaction score
Motos "rapid" car charger works asgood as home wall plug. Dx needs more amps than most car charges produce to charge and simultaneously run the radios and screen.