Charge port issues

crashngo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have started to notice that my Gnex doesn't always want to charge. There has to be slight pressure pushing up on the charge plug. I have tested this with 3 different chargers and the same thing happens, I plug it in at first it says its charging, then after a minute or two, it stops, but then all I have to do it slightly push up on the charge plug and it charges again, if I relieve this pressure it stops. So what I have to do is place it further away from the edge because the cable provides that slight amount of pressure, but if the charge plug hangs off the edge, the pressure is relieved and the phone stops charging. Am I making any sense?

So now I am wondering should I go ahead and just call Samsung or go to the Verizon store and tell them about this? Because this happened to my laptop and that has gotten pretty bad and I don't want my phone to end up like my laptop, which is that it only charges if there is pressure in the right direction on the plug. And there in lies the problem, I am rooted, I know that i can restore to factory locked state but can they tell if the phone has been unlocked before? Will that even matter because rooting a phone wouldn't do anything to make the charge port break.

Thanks in advance guys.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You're making perfect sense, seems like the plug is off alignment. Go to Verizon and tell them about it, they should replace it for you.

Also regarding locking device, there's no trace of it ever being rooted or unlocked if you bring it back to stock correctly. Rooting voids the warranty so if you tried to get a new one while it's rooted, Verizon will easily deny you a replacement

edit: Use this guide: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...galaxy-nexus-100-stock-locked-bootloader.html

Last edited:
OP
C

crashngo

Reaction score
I used Wugs tool to unlock and root, there is a lock, unroot, and and OEM stock, will this tool correctly return it to stock? I am pretty sure it will I just want to be sure.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Just saw the link you posted thanks. But I am still wondering about Wugs tool. Thanks again.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I used Wugs tool to unlock and root, there is a lock, unroot, and and OEM stock, will this tool correctly return it to stock? I am pretty sure it will I just want to be sure.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Just saw the link you posted thanks. But I am still wondering about Wugs tool. Thanks again.
Haven't seen anyone use Wug's toolkit to return to stock, but I would think it works if it's provided. Might wanna check in the main Wug's thread and see if anyone else tried it.

OP
C

crashngo

Reaction score
Wugs added it in like v 1.2 or v 1.3 and I will have to check it out, Thanks again for your help.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wugs added it in like v 1.2 or v 1.3 and I will have to check it out, Thanks again for your help.
No problem. Let us know if it works or not. I personally haven't heard anyone using it to unroot, but would like to know. I seen it in the toolkit, but had no reason to try it out myself

OP
C

crashngo

Reaction score
Alright, I will let you know the outcome, now I just have to find time to go to the Verizon store sometime this week. It will probably be sometime this weekend.

OP
C

crashngo

Reaction score
For an update, I have used Wugs tool to unroot, flash OEM 4.0.2 and re-lock my bootloader. As far as I know it did all of that, I booted into the bootloader it says status: locked and the unlock icon on the boot animation is also gone. Now all I have to do to get to the VZW store, which will probably be sometime either tomorrow or on Sunday. I will let you know how it goes there.

satriani72

Reaction score
Regarding the OP, also am beginning to encounter this issue of a loose charge port. Back to Verizon!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
C

crashngo

Reaction score
I wonder if any other members are also starting to have this issue. Beside for you and me.

ElectroM

Reaction score
Wug's tool works great. I have used it to return my gnex to stock before returning phone for replacement. I haven't had the charge port problem. I have been struggling with the bad reception issue since Dec 15. I am encouraged with my latest Gnex. It is very noticeably better than previous ones, but it has only been 3 days with this one.

Melanieuretagranger

Reaction score
I've gone through five chargers now. When I try a new one, it works for a while, for maybe a month or a few months, then I start having charging issues. Maybe the newer chargers fit the port more tightly, so they work for a while, then I'm back to the same problem. I have to position the cord in just the right way to get it to charge. I've had the original Samsung factory charger that came with the phone when I bought it, a couple of generic Target brand chargers, and a couple Verizon brand chargers. The only reliable charger I have is my car charger, but that's been replaced with a new one once. I imagine it's a problem with the charging port, but not sure if they can fix it or if I'll need to get a new phone. When I brought my phone and charger into Verizon, they just told me to get a new charger.

Nick D

Reaction score
I just started having charging problems with my phone too. I've tried 3 different wall chargers & 2 different car chargers with the same results. The one thing that seems consistent with the phone is that it charges when turned off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I just started having charging problems with my phone too. I've tried 3 different wall chargers & 2 different car chargers with the same results. The one thing that seems consistent with the phone is that it charges when turned off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

thats likely because, if your port is getting worn out and not making a good connection, only part of the power is getting through.
so, theoretically, the phone is using as much power (+/- a little) as the battery is getting from the charger. hence, no real gain or loss.
however, when off, whatever power is getting through stays in the battery as increasing charge.

you may also want to make sure the charging port is clear of any debris, lint, etc,. this has caused issues for other users in the past.