Change "M" Boot Logo Tutorial - only logo flash, wont erase everything

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Change "M" Boot Logo

***READ ALL PARTS OF THIS GUIDE, DON'T SKIP ANY PAGES OR STEPS***

A complete and comprehensive guide on how to change the "M" Boot Logo on the Motorola Droid.

The goal of this guide is to provide an easy to understand, guide to help anyone easily change the "M" Boot logo on the Motorola Droid.

Droid Concepts, takes no responsibility for anything that happens as a result of you using this guide, and the provided software and information, REMEMBER, start at the top and read ALL parts of this guide. Also remember the Droid Concepts License applies to the following guide. Which can be found under files on the side navigation bar, or by clicking HERE.

***REMEMBER THIS SBF WILL ONLY FLASH THE NEW BOOT LOGO, IT ISN'T A FULL FLASH***

Guide can be found

HERE

f0rkyou

Reaction score

djakrse

Reaction score
Woodyman, first a big thanks to you and DC for putting together this guide. It makes it easy to decide what you want to do to your phone next when there is a great collection of guides in one place from a trustworthy source.

I'd like to suggest some more information in this guide. First, I think it's important to note that this process can be done without root. That to me is amazing and worth putting in big bold letters.

Second, is it really helpful to do a nand backup of your phone when flashing an sbf? I'm asking, because I don't really know. From what I read, I couldn't tell if a failed sbf will allow you to get into recovery. I was able to tell from my experience and reading that failing to flash the sbf can simply be followed up with a successful flash (with the stock M to get back up in a hurry).

I'd request some mention of how to specify the background color during step D. :)

It would be helpful to add information on how to flash with RSD Lite (I see now there's not much to it really, but it's kinda big and scary at first) or just link to MotoCache1's fully detailed tutorial on the subject:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/73579-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html

Not covered by MC1's tutorial is the disappointing failed flash due to checksum error as I received:
"Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. Interface AP-OS: Error verifying Code Group 42 checksums. File: 0xDEC5, Phone: 0xEF58 (0x4007031); phone connected"

Having gone through this entire tutorial several times, I wonder if anyone has successfully created their sbf without encountering the checksum error?

I found MC1's thread which explains this phenomenon and how to correct it, here. If you read the entire thread, and I highly recommend it for everyone interested in how this entire process came about, there is further explanation of how they found a workaround, and finally how Shibbey's boot logo generator came to exist.

I have to be honest, I likely wouldn't have attempted this manual process if I had known about Shibbey's app. I did so before f0rkyou's "promotion" in the 2nd post, but I'm very glad I did go through this whole process because it's a perfect example of what goes into what otherwise seems like such a simple task (yeah, right).

Props to the DC crew for posting another helpful tutorial. :rating08: That said, I also highly recommend Shibbey's app, it makes things simple and is expected to get better.

Note to f0rkyou: as mentioned in another thread, your rsdlite file is corrupt. Also, not sure you should redistribute Shibbey's app without his permission, rather link to his thread, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/91243-droid-1-boot-logo-generator.html