CC youtube on phone?

simpleyuji

Reaction score
Short version: I'll add closed captioning to any youtube video that you want (under 4 min) for FREE. It doesn't have to be your video, it can be anyone's video, just reply here if you want to request one (or send me a PM). Why am I doing this? See below:

Longer version: I'm not sure about you guys but I found myself sometimes watching youtube videos on my phone in a public place where i can't turn on the sound and i dont have any earphones with me. and i'll try to turn on the closed captions (CC) on youtube app in my samsung phone and sometimes they suck (you know its like the texts are way way off). There are also instances when im watching a clip where the guy has some thick european accent and i find it hard to understand what he's saying.

So as an effort to make closed captioning more widespread, I'm starting to offer my services for a limited time (just to see what its like to be a captioner), and maybe others too can jump in the bandwagon and do the same. So if you're interested, let me know ASAP :)

Cheers!

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
sounds like a pretty good idea to me, not... boring.

gthomas

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. I can think of countless situations where something like this would be fantastic. I can't count how many times I have tried to use some CC program on my phone, and it is the only thing worse than the speech to text feature. I hope this takes off for you. You could easily turn this into a profitable product if you play your cards correctly. Do you watch and write the CC for every video or do you have software or something that is capable of doing it for you? I can't imagine how long it would take to do videos for people on a regular basis, even if it is only 4 minutes.

OP
simpleyuji

simpleyuji

Reaction score
eddiekeyton, gthomas: thanks for the encouragement. I watch the entire video and use an online subtitling tool - www.zeroplay.net, it doesnt do everything automatically, but its UI makes my workflow much more productive. I don't know how others would find it though, it might need some improvement in terms of better usability, but at least for me its good enough :)