Carbon Vs. Titanium A Battle of Backups

AndroidDissected

Authorized Affiliate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.androiddissected.com
carbonVtitanium.png

One major feature that is missing from the Android OS is the ability to backup everything on a device either to a pc or to usb/sdcard storage. Seems that Google in all their infinite wisdom decided to leave that up to third parties. It would be nice when getting a new device or three, to be able to just sign in and BAM, there’s all your data. Sadly though this isn’t the case and third party developers have been filling the gap left by Google.
Data backup solutions for Android have been around for years. Some that require you have root access on your device while others have root and rootless options. Going by reviews and number of downloads, Titanium Backup is the current leader in the data backup game, but a new heavyweight just landed in the ring and is giving TiBu a run for it’s money. Carbon app sync and backup by Clockworkmod was an instant hit among standard users and root users alike.
In the battle for backups these two heavyweights are going head to head in the first of many app battles to come. So without any further ado, let’s get to it.

(Read more @ Android Dissected)

jayman350

Reaction score
the biggest drawback for Carbon is that it is not compatible with Motorola phones, so we can't even compare it to TiBu

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I've been using Titanium since I first rooted my OG Droid. With that being said, the only features I've used of its thousands is backup/restore and restoring apps from Nandroid backups.

Other than those two, I've never even thought of using any other TiBu features because they kind of scare me; and I have a pretty good understanding of what I'm doing most of the time.

skennelly

Reaction score
I've been using TiBu since my DroidX. I too have only used the backup and restore features. I use the paid version because of the batch restore option.

I have used Carbon and would make the switch to it completely if it had the batch restore option.

May not be a fair comparison between the paid TiBu and free Carbon, but what I disliked about Carbon was that I had to download each app individually from the market and then I could restore the data. TiBu will install the apks and data all at once. However, Carbon seems much easier to use.

Last, since getting my S3, TiBu has been garbage. I backup to the sd card because the internal card gets wiped when I flash a rom. However, when I go to restore, TiBu doesn’t see/recognize the folder and says "0" for apps to restore. So it's kind of worthless. Definitely thinking about getting the paid version of carbon and would love to hear the experience of those using the paid version.

jayman350

Reaction score
skenelly try reassigning the directory to go to your external sd and it will see all of them, have TiBu remember your settings and it should stick between flashes. i had to do that a few times before i remembered to switch the default location and remember the settings.

GotnFX

Reaction score
skenelly try reassigning the directory to go to your external sd and it will see all of them, have TiBu remember your settings and it should stick between flashes. i had to do that a few times before i remembered to switch the default location and remember the settings.

How would one reassign the directory to the external SD? I've yet to figure that out as I too lose everything on an FDR as it is backed up to my internal..

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
How would one reassign the directory to the external SD? I've yet to figure that out as I too lose everything on an FDR as it is backed up to my internal..

In TiBu on the home screen Menu>Preferences>Backup Folder Location... Navigate to the external SDCard

skennelly

Reaction score

Thanks for the input, but I have tried this with no luck. I've just decided to stay on cm and not worry about it. Thank you though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2