Car mount for video taking?

berfles

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with any good ways to mount their Droid in their cars to take videos while driving?

WebFoo

Reaction score
Here's pics of my car dock mount for taking video. I have mine mounted on the left-hand side since I'm left handed... don't know if that makes any difference. Essentially "tweaked" the suction cup off to the right since the camera is on the left. I use "DailyRoads Voyager" pretty regularly, great app.

srvctec

Reaction score
@WebFoo, thanks for posting those pics! You answered a couple of questions for me in the process. I was always wondering if one could take video while in the dock (hope to purchase one soon) and if my case, which is exactly like yours, would allow docking the phone without removing it first. dancedroid

OP
B

berfles

Reaction score
Thanks, good to see you can use a case in those things too. I wish there was a way I could mount it back further to get the wheel and dash in the picture too, but I don't see how that's possible. I may have to go with a GoPro HD if I want that kind of video, but this may work in the mean time. Not sure how it will deal with sound but I'll give it a shot, my car is quite loud. I'm also worried a bit about the suction cup, I don't know if it would hold up with stiff suspension either. Last thing I want is my phone falling.

Can you flip it around and stick it on the back window? If you can do that it may work fine for me, that would probably give me a wide enough angle for what I want.

Last edited:

WebFoo

Reaction score
I never thought about mounting it back further than the dash... hrm. I wonder if you could try the dome light or something (depends on the car, also maybe depends on if you're insistent on charging it while driving since video sucks up the juice). The back window is also an interesting thought, but never tried it or crossed my mind. Would you want to see the dashboard for the speed or something else? That "DailyRoads Voyager" in the shot records GPS position and approx. speed, if that helps.

My suction cup used to fall down quite a lot when I tried mounting it on the dash itself with the little "mount" provided with the car dock, but it's stayed in this position for about a month and half now so far, in some high temps with the car outside unshaded (90+ outside). My case is a QMadix Gel off Amazon.com. It will fit in the default car dock yes once you remove the (removable) insert. It will not charge in the dock by default however... I had to modify my dock in order to get it to charge while in the dock. I was going to post something on my blog on how I did this modification, haven't done that yet though!

OP
B

berfles

Reaction score
I never thought about mounting it back further than the dash... hrm. I wonder if you could try the dome light or something (depends on the car, also maybe depends on if you're insistent on charging it while driving since video sucks up the juice). The back window is also an interesting thought, but never tried it or crossed my mind. Would you want to see the dashboard for the speed or something else? That "DailyRoads Voyager" in the shot records GPS position and approx. speed, if that helps.

My suction cup used to fall down quite a lot when I tried mounting it on the dash itself with the little "mount" provided with the car dock, but it's stayed in this position for about a month and half now so far, in some high temps with the car outside unshaded (90+ outside). My case is a QMadix Gel off Amazon.com. It will fit in the default car dock yes once you remove the (removable) insert. It will not charge in the dock by default however... I had to modify my dock in order to get it to charge while in the dock. I was going to post something on my blog on how I did this modification, haven't done that yet though!

I don't need the speed, I just want the dash and all that in the video so you can see my shifting and whatnot. It's purely for spirited driving in my "fun" car.

I wedged it in the seat of my daily driver today and the sound/video was good enough, but my other car has one piece seats and I can't wedge anything in there. No dome light that would work either.

I'm worried about it falling off though, I've overly protective of my stuff and that would really tick me off. Bah, maybe I'll try it anyway.

Thanks for the help :)