car dock over heating phone.

Reaction score
So the last 3 times i used my car dock with my phone to use the gps. It started out fine. Then half way thru the drives i noticed that it wasnt charging. I pull the phone out of the dock and holy crap it was hot. Ive had the dock for a year and never noticed that before. I had plugged it into the regular car charger and it still wouldnt charge until i propped it infront of the vent with the a/c blowing. The dock is the motorola dock for the droid 4. And the charger is a verizon charger. Any idea how to remedy this. I love this phone even with the bugs. And i feel bad its not working well with the dock since the dock was a anniversary present.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is the single reason I have a Galaxy S3. Motorola did that with every single phone I owned: og, bionic, razr maxx. There is no way to overcome that except to limit what you do while it is on the dock (like GPS) but that kind of defeats the purpose of the dock.

Be careful how hot the phone gets. Solder can melt as low as 185°. My phone could easily get up to 130° before I would check it. If the solder melts you will start having all kinds of problems...

I also used to stick the phone up to the vent to cool it. Just remember that doing that can cause condensation which will cause problems also.

My recommendation is to trouble shoot so you know exactly what causes the overheating condition then avoid doing that if you can. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but that is life with Motorola.

R2D|2OID

Reaction score
Make sure you are ONLY using the charging cable that came with the dock from Motorola, not a Verizon cable.

OP
Forcedbyhatred
Reaction score
Im using only the cables that came with the dock i switched out to the car charger when i took it out of the dock

vaeron

Reaction score
Let me ask this, was the sun beating straight on it? This was another factor I found. Winter it worked way better with all my DROIDs

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

OP
Forcedbyhatred
Reaction score
Last time it was a cloudy day and when i was on vacation it was raining and cloudy. Im not sure about the other times the last 2 were within the last 2 months.

ej0rge

Reaction score
I use my dock with a motorola branded charger with a coiled cable. The one with the big blue glowing batwing logo. Sometimes the phone feels warm but I've never had that problem.

It's perfectly normal for a lithium battery's protection circuit to decline to charge a hot battery.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

hickmasgo

Reaction score
good,Im using only the cables that came with the dock i switched out to the car charger when i took it out of the dock
21.gif