Can't swipe down the notification bar

djmorando

Reaction score
Woke up this morning and tried to pull the notification bar down to open unread text messages. however the damn thing doesn't expand down. I can use the settings button and click notifications to open that window up. If I do that, I can swipe the notification screen up and down but once it's closed i can't pull it back down without going to settings first. I've cycled the battery, checked for system updates, then did a master reset. Still doesn't want to cooperate.

David

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the forum and sorry you are experiencing troubles.

When you say you did a master reset, do you mean holding the volume down and the power button for 10 seconds? Or do you mean a factory data reset, where you return everything to a stock state?

Also are you still on Gingerbread? And finally are you using the stock launcher or an after market one like Go Launcher?

jaye712

Reaction score
i had this problem randomly yesterday.i resently dwnloaded a new app n took it off right away..i never had this problem till yesterday..i did a fdr n it wrks agian.hope u figure it out tho

RAZR215unrooted

RandyNose

Reaction score
I've got a HTC Thunderbolt with the same swipe down issue. The thing is, if I open up my text messages, or something else that will turn from portrait to landscape, I CAN swipe down. I haven't done a factory reset, yet. As I did do that in the past, as I had an issue with being able to use WiFi for data and Network data. The factory reset fixed that problem, and it would seem that something else that I've installed has caused a new problem. That, and I have to join my Blue Tooth every time I use it with it's security code.

OP
D

djmorando

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, sorry for not getting back soon enough, had to buy a new pc.
I'm still having this problem. I had actually cracked the screen and replaced the digitizer myself. It worked just fine for a while after replacing so I don't think It had anything to do with it. I recently managed to break the replaced digitizer so i will be repairing it yet again. Anyway, I did the factory data reset a few times, made sure I've deleted all the apps in hopes that was the problem, but no results from it. Say i'm in a text message if i turn the phone long ways it will allow me to swipe down the notification bar, but not at all when the phone is right side up. I don't know how to do the other reset you referred to when holding down the power button and volume button at the same time. I tried doing it but learned it has to be hooked up to a data cable. Haven't gone any farther than that because i'm not familiar with what to do next and don't want to screw it up beyond my own repair capabilities. I made sure the software is up to date. In fact i had a system update 2 days ago. I'm really not sure what else to do. Let me know what other info I can provide to be more helpful to you in troubleshooting this disaster :)

David

OP
D

djmorando

Reaction score
FIXED!!!!
So as I stated in my last post, I broke the digitizer, AGAIN. I replaced it a few hours ago, and the problem is solved, the notification bar swipes down perfectly fine now. Problem solved and now I know why.

jaye712

Reaction score
djmorando said:
FIXED!!!!
So as I stated in my last post, I broke the digitizer, AGAIN. I replaced it a few hours ago, and the problem is solved, the notification bar swipes down perfectly fine now. Problem solved and now I know why.

Woww..that's str8 up diggin in right there..glad u got it to wrk...n yeah,i feel ur pain about data unlimited, i lost mines,dc"ed my service for a while n they decided to come up with data plans,smh, but now i got 4 a month since my contract isnt over 7/2013,iam gonna have to wrk around it when its over cuz i dnt wanna lose it..they droped 4 n now only doin 2 a month now..most likly buyin a maxx in the future frm someone or online.Verizon's getin cheap on us lol

RAZR215unrooted

RandyNose

Reaction score
FIXED!!!!

I've got a thunderbolt, and still have the issue. I've tried a factory reset in the past, and that didn't fix the problem. As also mentioned in another post, was the master reset by holding the volume bar down, and the power button. I'm not sure if that works on a Thunderbolt.

I guess it might be a hardware issue, if nothing else seems to do the trick... sigh...