Can't mount to Computer

randakate

Reaction score
When I connect my Eris to the computer via USB the following happens:
-Computer recognizes that the phone has been plugged in.
-Phone shows a notification that says "USB debugging connected"
-Drive E shows in "My Computer"... but when I try and open it I get the message "Please insert a disk into Drive E"

I've been searching and searching. I've found a lot of similar issues, but can't seem to find a solution that works for me!

A few things:
I have connected this phone to this computer before without a hitch.
I tried a another USB cable with no difference in the outcome.
I defragmented my computer.
I have Windows XP on a Dell.
The phone charges when it is connected via USB (this is how I charge it in my car normally).

I don't have the option of clicking "Mount" in the notification pane on my phone...

Someone, please help!
Thanks in advance :)

OP
R

randakate

Reaction score
Update: Tried on a second computer, still doesn't work. Acts exactly the same. Problem is with the phone, or possibly with the operator.

OP
R

randakate

Reaction score
Easy fix. Go to settings (menu button from home screen) select applications then development and deselect usb debugging. Exit out and you're all set!

Just tried that...
Now there is no noise indicating that the computer has connected to the device... although the icon to "safely remove hardware" does show up.
The amber light turns on on the phone, but nothing else happens.
When I go to My Computer I still see Drive E... and I still get the "Insert Disk..." message.

Joe_Evaristo

Reaction score
Easy fix. Go to settings (menu button from home screen) select applications then development and deselect usb debugging. Exit out and you're all set!

Just tried that...
Now there is no noise indicating that the computer has connected to the device... although the icon to "safely remove hardware" does show up.
The amber light turns on on the phone, but nothing else happens.
When I go to My Computer I still see Drive E... and I still get the "Insert Disk..." message.

Try checking your Connect to PC settings.

Menu > Settings > Connect to PC. Maybe the "ask me" became unchecked.

OP
R

randakate

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Try checking your Connect to PC settings.

Menu > Settings > Connect to PC. Maybe the "ask me" became unchecked.[/QUOTE]

Ask me was already checked... I've tried every combination of having it checked or unchecked and the default mode (Charge only, disk drive, htc sync)

:(

OP
R

randakate

Reaction score
Each time that I change a setting I have restarted my phone...
It seems like there should be a simple fix but I am pretty sure that I have tried all of the obvious answers... and none have worked!

Joe_Evaristo

Reaction score
After 2.1 update, Eris won't mount - Android Forums
Someone in that thread seems to have the same problem, and he's reported success by doing a hard reset of the phone.

A less drastic solution using HTC Sync was posted here:
Can't mount to PC - Android Forums

I hope that helps. If not, you could try contacting HTC's support, but I doubt they'll be all that helpful, I haven't had the best luck with them myself on other issues.

OP
R

randakate

Reaction score
After 2.1 update, Eris won't mount - Android Forums
Someone in that thread seems to have the same problem, and he's reported success by doing a hard reset of the phone.

A less drastic solution using HTC Sync was posted here:
Can't mount to PC - Android Forums

I hope that helps. If not, you could try contacting HTC's support, but I doubt they'll be all that helpful, I haven't had the best luck with them myself on other issues.

Thanks for the links... I've tried installing Sync but I can't get it to work either.
Looks like I may be doing a hard reset... I'd just hate to have to do that :(

Joe_Evaristo

Reaction score
Thanks for the links... I've tried installing Sync but I can't get it to work either.
Looks like I may be doing a hard reset... I'd just hate to have to do that :(

You're welcome. A hard reset does suck. ):

You could try HTC support first--again, not sure that they'll be helpful, but you might get lucky and be able to avoid the hard reset.