Can't install update.

bigkhan

Reaction score
Can't install the update. I've been waiting for the OTA. I checked for updates and kept getting can't check for updates at this time message. Found out that you need to do a factory reset if you don't have your original Sim card, which I don't. unfroze all apps, unrooted, did reset. now the phone will check for updates and download it, but it fails to install every time I try. I have two bionics mine and my wifes. Her's downloaded and installed the update fine, I just had to redo the root. While I'm still stock I'll be going to the Verizon store today get this figured out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you take any of the cheesecake/leaked updates? This would be why if you did.

There is a way to get back on the upgrade path but not sure what/were this thread is, someone else will chime in on with the link im sure.

:bump:

OP
bigkhan

bigkhan

Reaction score
No didn't install any of the leaked updates. I was rooted but stock. All I use the root for is free tethering, backing up, freezing unwanted bloatware. Never got into any ROM's or anything. I already went through the threads to get back on the update path. They really didn't pertain to me since I was stock. My wifes phone was the same as mine, except she still had her original Sim card. The OTA was pushed to her phone with no problem, except losing root. I was able to redo the root in like 5 minutes, no problem. After I did the reset it found the update and downloaded fine just can't install. Right now I have no apps installed that require root access, and of course not rooted. that way when I go to the store tonight they cant tell I was rooted. I'll see how well my backups worked once I get this figured out.

OP
bigkhan

bigkhan

Reaction score
Just left the store the are sending me a new phone overnight. They said there's nothing they can do with it.

03grey5

Reaction score
Hello,

So I purchased my Bionic back in November and rooted it using petes root tool. I flashed a bloatware free rom and then I entered the forever root script via text editor. After some time I received an OTA update and had downloaded the update.

However, I get an error message stating that the phone failed to install the update. So I attempted to do a factory reset via bootstrap and a data reset. After wiping my phone I had rebooted it (taking me back to the droid setup screen; google account setup, etc.) and tried to install the update again but I kept receiving the same error.

I then did some research and figured it was due to the bloatware being frozen so I downloaded AntTek to try and unfreeze the apps but when I clicked on the frozen tab, the section was empty.

Can anybody please help me? I don't mind unrooting and completely wiping the phone back to stock (sd card and all).

Thanks in advance.

OP
bigkhan

bigkhan

Reaction score
Don't think your going to have any luck.I went back to stock, everything back to the way it was when I walked out of the Verizon store. and still had the same problem. At first I couldn't even download the update, but after I reset everything,I could download but not install, tried at least 10 times. took the phone back to the store, told them what was happening, she tried one time, and said is this what happen to you? Yes it its. OK we need to send you a new phone. Got my new phone in still had to do a factory reset on it before it would download the update. That was due to the Sim card being from my original phone. I do like not having to call to activate the phone though. Even after the update my data connection SUCKS! it was no help at all.