Can't Install Anything Or Restore With ROM Manager

iGuess

Reaction score
So today I rooted for the first time, and installed Cyanogen through ROM manager. I had made a backup of my stock rooted ROM beforehand with ROM Manager.

After installing Cyanogen I tried installing the google apps addon through ROM Manager, but when I got to the screen to hit OK to reboot and install, after hitting OK nothing happened. So I tried to restore to my backup, and I get the same problem. Hitting OK to reboot and install does absolutely nothing. How do I fix this? I have no google apps in Cyanogen and I can't restore.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Either try another rom in rom manager or reboot manually into recovery (either sp or cw) and install a rom.
make sure you install the rom first on your sdcard so when you boot into recovery you can flash it. If you using sprecovery the file must be named update.zip (update if you using Windows 7) and must be installed on the root of your sdcard (that means it do not go into any folders)
before doing the terminal emulator commands make sure you hve 70% or more battery. If you do not have a battery widget get one and ensure you are at that number.
you do this by following this:

install a terminal emulator (I prefer j android hacker but its up to you) and the install sprecovery 99.3b. Use the terminal emulator to flash sprecovery image

Push sprecovery using terminal emulator, if that do not work then use rsdlite.

here is the file: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

place sprecovery file on the root of your sdcard DO NOT RENAME

here are the directions:
19. Open Terminal Emulator and type DO NOT TYPE THE QUOTATION MARKS!
"su" press enter and allow
"flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img"
"reboot recovery"

(if you going to use clockwork then install it and write the name of the file exactly and that will be in place of recover-0.99.3b.img , it is important you write everything exactly how it is including punctuation, whther its in capital or lowercase letters, numbers, everything)

once you install what ever recovery and follow the steps it will automatically boot you into recovery (it is important you make sure the file is correct or you will get stuck at the M like you lost recovery, if this happen just do a battery pull boot back up, verify your file is (recovery-0.99.3b) is where it is suppose to be go back in terminal emulator and try it again.
Once you are in recovery you are going
click install
allow update .zip
install update.zip depreicated.

after the rom is installed wipe data and cache and reboot.

once you load back up you can install rom mnanger and try again or check with Koush to see if it is an ongoing issue.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Wow, that was the long way around the barn. Why not just use ROM Manager to flash the SPRecovery and then back to ClockworkMod recovery first? Failing that, I usually just flash a previous version of ClockworkMod Recovery within ROM Manager.

good luck

ecfiffer

Reaction score
@pilot. I'm in the same boat and I'm trying to follow your steps after setting su and allowing su permissons I enter the flash_image recovery line I get back 'flash_image' not found. Ideas?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
@pilot. I'm in the same boat and I'm trying to follow your steps after setting su and allowing su permissons I enter the flash_image recovery line I get back 'flash_image' not found. Ideas?
I don't see pilot answering, so I'll help. Sounds like you don't have the flash_image binary installed or maybe installed in the wrond place. You can get it all in this guide here:

Installing the SPRecovery Image Manually

good luck

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
my apologies ecfiffer, I did not see your post. Thannks Teddy for answering.