Can't get Swype to work

Dxun

Reaction score
I'm having multiple issues with swype. 1 issue is auto space does not work when im texting. 2nd issue is when I'm trying to type using the HTC friends widget. Every word i type shows up highlighted so it deletes soon as i try to advance. Such a great phone but without swype working correctly I can't enjoy it.

stevenas

Reaction score
I'm also having auto-space not work in text messages, but this is a BETA, and it really is an incredible way to text. I've always had a physical QWERTY keyboard, so text input is something I was concerned about.

Anyway, got Swype to work after installing/uninstalling several times. Just go into the Swype Installer app and make sure its enabled. Easy.

Also, when I'm driving (BAD, I know) this thing is impossible to use, however speech to text works really well.

viper1549

Reaction score
I'm also having auto-space not work in text messages, but this is a BETA, and it really is an incredible way to text. I've always had a physical QWERTY keyboard, so text input is something I was concerned about.

Anyway, got Swype to work after installing/uninstalling several times. Just go into the Swype Installer app and make sure its enabled. Easy.

Also, when I'm driving (BAD, I know) this thing is impossible to use, however speech to text works really well.

to my knowledge from what i have seen, everyone using swype on TB doesnt have auto spacing.. i hope there will be a fix for this but i figured hitting space every time was better than downloading slide it and learning on a new app..

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

to my knowledge from what i have seen, everyone using swype on TB doesnt have auto spacing.. i hope there will be a fix for this but i figured hitting space every time was better than downloading slide it and learning on a new app..
I must be one of the lucky ones then, because my auto-spacing is working.

viper1549

Reaction score

does it work on the default message app? auto space works in like maybe 2 apps i have but everything else doesnt.. especially the default message app.

Purgatoiry

Reaction score
Mine doesn't auto space in the default message, but i installed a different SMS app and it now spaces correctly.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

does it work on the default message app? auto space works in like maybe 2 apps i have but everything else doesnt.. especially the default message app.
I use Handcent, not the default message app, maybe that's why it works for me and not others.

PikaCane

Reaction score
Autospace isn't working for me, and the text select and word select menus often overlap if I doubletap a word to fix it. Autocaps is erratic. I'm flipping between keyboards every ten minutes, missing the good Gingerbread one from my D1. The market Gingerbread one isn't the same. Le sigh, I have such a miserable and difficult life, I think I'm going to go dye my hair black and fuschia, write horrible poetry, worship Sylvia Plath, and use 8pen for the rest of my days.

Actually, I haven't used 8pen in awhile, that could be fun :)

I've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6

I use Handcent, not the default message app, maybe that's why it works for me and not others.

I was just about to post that I too have no problems with auto spacing in Handcent.

If anyone is still using the default SMS app, I just have one question: why?

Handcent rocks! And it's FREE!

pistol_pete

Reaction score
I was just about to post that I too have no problems with auto spacing in Handcent.

+1

/10char/

Reaction score
I installed it on my Pre-Production TBolt and had issues with it after I would reboot the phone.

I looked in the SWYPE support message board/FAQ and found that any phone that has Fastboot enabled means that you will have issues with SWYPE "not working" after a reboot. (Had something to do with the fact that though you reboot the phone, with Fastboot enabled, it doesn't start the service back up...)

Anyway, after you reboot, you will need to long-press a text input field and then choose "Input Method" and switch to Touch Input, then long-press again and choose "SWYPE."

Kind of a P.I.T.A., but SWYPE is worth it...

There is also SlideIT, but it has some different features compared to SWYPE and I am used to the SWYPE features.

Thanks for the great tip Johnboy! That fixed the problem for me. I didn't think I was having any issues with Swype until I rebooted once and noticed it still traced but did not input the next time I tried to use it.

Would going to menu/settings/power/fast boot, and checking "Turn off to use some Market apps" do anything to fix this issue? I know Swype is not technically from the market right now, but it sounds like it could be promising at least. I have not had a chance to try this out myself yet though if anyone else has tried it already. Regardless of the Swype issue, does anyone know exactly what this setting does/is used for?

I just tried the Fast Reboot option and when the phone rebooted I was successfully able to use Swype to send a message without jumping through the hoops.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you get to the Fast Reboot option? When I hold down the top button, all it shows is Power off, Airplane mode, and Restart. Thanks!

I also was used to a physical keyboard, and was hesitant about switching to touch screen only, but decided I had better get with it since that's where the technology is heading. I liked the stock keyboard setup better than the Swype keyboard setup when it comes to doing symbols and numbers, and did not have too many issues with typing normally (except correcting mistakes, I'm a spelling/punctuation/grammar-phobe even in text-speak) but it is hard to argue with how blazing fast I can type after just a couple of days with Swype, and I was like lightning on my old physical keyboard.

I think I should look more into the speech to text also, if it really works well, that could just save me a lot of hassle sometimes. The only thing is that many times you don't want people around you to hear what you are texting. You should try Vlingo for in-car use from what I hear.

I was having the same problem at first, and then I noticed that it started auto-spacing at one point and could not figure out why. After reading the above comments, I realized that it must have been because I was using the stock messaging app at first, and then switched to Handcent. I agree that the market apps are way better than stock for texting. I'm still trying to figure out what is better between Handcent, GO SMS, and chompSMS. Anyone have an opinion on that (and reasoning)? People swear by all 3 it seems like, with Handcent being the most popular and GO being the newer one???

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guitarchris123 - instead of quoting everything above, to enable the Quick Boot option, go to Menu/Settings/Power/Fast Boot

PikaCane

Reaction score
Okay, so autospacing works properly with Handcent. Aside from eye candy, though, what other functionality does it add? I don't do group messaging, and I'm perfectly content with a barebones look-if I wanted shiny, bubbly, and brightly colored, I'd have an i*one. I do want CM7 options back for dark theme to save battery, but that's it.

Not trying to be argumentative. I see these touted everywhere, but never why, and I am curious as to the value, since they seem rather notorious for compatibility issues and other bugs.

I've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!

tribeguy1971

Reaction score
Swype . . . Iphone ???

Don't panic everybody , I am a devout android user , in fact I just got my TB yesterday , coming from a Droid X , and a D1 before that . I'm android for life . My wife on the other hand , not so much , but she loves Swype . I cannot seem to find any similar keyboard for her iPhone and figured the best people to ask were all of you . Anybody know where I can get a swype style keyboard for her iPhone . I got the swype working on my TB btw . Works great , I felt naked without it for the first 6 hrs til I got it installed !

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
Swype is sucking. It's not recognizing basic words. "not" should not come up "nut". O and u are far enough apart. Need to find a new solution. Pecking at a keyboard would suck.

Plus, on the TB the text boxes don't scroll top follow your input. Annoying.