Can't decide which launcher to use

bhughesiii

Reaction score
When I first got my droid I said I need more screens. I found Helix Launcher 2.
Then Launcher Pro came around I said oooo even better. Then I found ADW and said Holy Hell! Up to seven screens and 10 short cuts what could be better? But now that I am running sapphire 0.6.2, I decided to check out the new froyo launcher and I am really liking it alot. I miss my shortcuts, but it just seems much more smoother than ADW.

Reaction score
I looove LauncherPro its so unrealistically smooth haha, and it has so many new extras now than a month ago its crazy. I hate native launchers, they are just too slow and buggy for me. LauncherPro is definitely my pick and i don't have a decrease in battery life, i'm still getting about 26+ hours easily.

J

Johnly

Download them all, and use each one for a day, then decide friend:)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I say download ADW or LauncherPro again and mess with how fast the screen transitions are and with how far they bounce. If you raise the scrolling speed and lower the overshoot no nothing it will help with how smooth it is. Also disable support for scrollable Widgets and enable system persistance to help with performance.

Messing with the settings can really change a launcher to be smoother for you.

mph122074

Reaction score
I have to say I use both adw and launcher pro... I go back and forth depending on the rom I am using... Sometimes one plays better with certain roms than the other... guess it is just personal preference...

Reaction score
I use ADW, i love the shortcuts on the bottom and I like the feel of it and how you can change so many settings. Didn't really like launcherpro that much

dr2ww62

Reaction score
I liked Launcher Pro for its snappiness but I've moved to ADW for the features. The gesture support and flexibility of the dockbar are real selling points for me. I also LOVE the ability to change the default grid size of the desktop so I can make widgets fit together better instead of having big gaps all over my screen. Some widgets are smaller than the standard grid size, and that was always annoying to me.

I really hope Sapphire eventually picks up a system build of ADW like CM does, it seems snappier than the market version. But maybe thats just something related to CM, who knows.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I liked Launcher Pro for its snappiness but I've moved to ADW for the features. The gesture support and flexibility of the dockbar are real selling points for me. I also LOVE the ability to change the default grid size of the desktop so I can make widgets fit together better instead of having big gaps all over my screen. Some widgets are smaller than the standard grid size, and that was always annoying to me.

I really hope Sapphire eventually picks up a system build of ADW like CM does, it seems snappier than the market version. But maybe thats just something related to CM, who knows.

this is what happened to me actually, lol. though the adw system build sounds sick. if I wasn't on my phone I'd make a feature request, so could you go on the bugzilla bug report and file this request please? I really like this idea.

jayman350

Reaction score
I've been using ADW since its later beta stages. I've tried out LauncherPro, and it wasn't bad I just didn't like how you had to set up the extra launcher buttons. (hit the +, select from a list, etc) With ADW you can just drop the shortcuts into the tray.

I do wish that you could re-order the icons in the tray without deleting them and replacing them in the order you want. I'm kinda crazy and like to keep certain things grouped together.

I've got overshoot and scrolling speed both set to 0 and there is NO lag when switching screens.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

I've put in a feature request in the bugzilla for precisely that. :)

dr2ww62

Reaction score
this is what happened to me actually, lol. though the adw system build sounds sick. if I wasn't on my phone I'd make a feature request, so could you go on the bugzilla bug report and file this request please? I really like this idea.

There already was one in there, or else I would have!

I've put in a feature request in the bugzilla for precisely that. :)

I saw that, and it made me happy dancedroid

dr2ww62

Reaction score
I do wish that you could re-order the icons in the tray without deleting them and replacing them in the order you want. I'm kinda crazy and like to keep certain things grouped together.

^this

Also wish the dock-scrolling was adjustable. I'd like to increase the "overshoot" or whatever you would do so that it was more of a seamless wheel instead of incremental. I wanna just toss it and have it keep scrolling instead of stopping as soon as I let up.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When I first realized the dockable icon widget was scrollable it was a big doh! moment for me. 12 fixed shortcuts at your fingertips. I never thought about the difference between helix and launcher pro in that helix lets you just add and remove shortcuts. Of course you first need to go and make them on your desktop anyways, so while it might seem faster than launcher pro's method you still need to find and add the icon. I've been too lazy to check, but having more launcher pro icon styles is the next thing for me to search for.

Until Helix I had 2-3 launchers with no default and I'd bounce from one to another. Once Helix came out I was sold and the rest went. It doesn't play nice with the rom I'm on now and Launcher has replaced it as the default. Once set up its just what I need, though I think I prefer the app drawer to the 3d scrolling box of apps.

Duhman

Reaction score
I have tried both.. and really like ADW better. The unlimited shortcuts in the dockbar, plus it's ability to also accept folders (such as a Games folder I created for all my Game apps) give it the edge for me. Launcher Pro is still better than stock, but I vote for ADW.

I second the need for the ability to rearrange the dockbar shortcuts in ADW!