Cant decide which Android device to get rant....

SysAdmNj

Reaction score
Ok I was set on leaving AT&T to get the Droid X due to AT&T not having any worthy Android devices and then they announce Samsung Captivate. I'm not 100% sold on that Super Amoled screen, and the fact it has no HDMI out is bugging me as I wanted to watch any streams I may be able to access on my HDTV from time to time. The hardware is nice, does have that gyroscopre like iphone4. No flash for the camera? I would also have to pay full retail for this phone which I'm guessing would be around 499 since I dont have an early upgrade due until over a year from now. Now if I was to go for the Droid X, I would probably get it for 199 with a 2yr contract and I would have to pay $150 ETF for AT&T so it would be cheaper to go with Verizon as Im seeing. I still get 23% FAN discount with both carriers.

Things to consider is getting into a new contract with Verizon with a new $350 etf fee, and no simultaneious data/voice usage which I'll admit AT&T has spoiled me with that. Also I forgot to mention how AT&T is blocking side loading apps, and seems they are restricting their Androids. On another note which may not be related, HTC is cracking down on custom roms. Mind you I'm still new to Android coming from the Blackberry world but is this also something to consider or only for HTC devices. I'm leaning towards the Droid X and still anticipating the June 23rd Verizon announcement. It seems Verizon has it together more when it comes to Androids? So yea, opinions on what would you do if you were in my shoes?
And hello I'm new here :)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok I was set on leaving AT&T to get the Droid X due to AT&T not having any worthy Android devices and then they announce Samsung Captivate. I'm not 100% sold on that Super Amoled screen, and the fact it has no HDMI out is bugging me as I wanted to watch any streams I may be able to access on my HDTV from time to time. The hardware is nice, does have that gyroscopre like iphone4. No flash for the camera? I would also have to pay full retail for this phone which I'm guessing would be around 499 since I dont have an early upgrade due until over a year from now. Now if I was to go for the Droid X, I would probably get it for 199 with a 2yr contract and I would have to pay $150 ETF for AT&T so it would be cheaper to go with Verizon as Im seeing. I still get 23% FAN discount with both carriers.

Things to consider is getting into a new contract with Verizon with a new $350 etf fee, and no simultaneious data/voice usage which I'll admit AT&T has spoiled me with that. Also I forgot to mention how AT&T is blocking side loading apps, and seems they are restricting their Androids. On another note which may not be related, HTC is cracking down on custom roms. Mind you I'm still new to Android coming from the Blackberry world but is this also something to consider or only for HTC devices. I'm leaning towards the Droid X and still anticipating the June 23rd Verizon announcement. It seems Verizon has it together more when it comes to Androids? So yea, opinions on what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Enough said. Make the switch. :)

parker34

Reaction score

Don't Forget ATT also has tiered data plans ;)

xxxsteveoxxx

Reaction score
I came from AT&T and was an iphone user. I got the moto droid only a couple days ago and plan on retuning within 30 days for the droid X. Android for me has been an eye opener. I love my new droid and connot wait for the new X. If you are like me then you prob dont use voice calls all that much. I mostly use e-mails and texts so the voice and data at the same time does not bother me. Sounds like you need to move on over to big red and get you the X. if not you will wish you did when it comes out but then it will prob be back ordered for a month like the droid INC.dancedroid

toastedoats

Reaction score
I remember reading that AT&T was planning on jacking up ETFs on their smartphones to 325 as well

OP
S

SysAdmNj

Reaction score

Enough said. Make the switch. :)

Lol, true.

Don't Forget ATT also has tiered data plans ;)

I'm grandfathered into my unlimited data plan, so that wouldnt affect me.

I came from AT&T and was an iphone user. I got the moto droid only a couple days ago and plan on retuning within 30 days for the droid X. Android for me has been an eye opener. I love my new droid and connot wait for the new X. If you are like me then you prob dont use voice calls all that much. I mostly use e-mails and texts so the voice and data at the same time does not bother me. Sounds like you need to move on over to big red and get you the X. if not you will wish you did when it comes out but then it will prob be back ordered for a month like the droid INC.dancedroid

Well I do use voicecalls and try to keep my minutes down, but I definitely use email more, and google voice alot for texts.

I remember reading that AT&T was planning on jacking up ETFs on their smartphones to 325 as well

Yes they did, I have a lower one as I was a customer before they jacked up their etf.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doesn't switching data plans (required if you're leaving the BB) mean that you're no longer grandfathered?

You don't mention coverage at all. If you haven't considered it then be sure to take it into account.

OP
S

SysAdmNj

Reaction score
Doesn't switching data plans (required if you're leaving the BB) mean that you're no longer grandfathered?

You don't mention coverage at all. If you haven't considered it then be sure to take it into account.

Apparently me switching devices doesnt affect my unlimited data plan. I've checked this a few times with reps on the phone and the store, so I would be able to keep it no matter what device I change to, no matter how many times. If I remove my data plan for whatever reason then I lose it and have to choose a tiered data plan.

Coverage, sorry I thought I mentioned this, but AT&T and Verizon have the best coverage for me so those would be the only two carriers I would choose. I think when it comes down to it, the only feature I would miss is being able to use the voice/data at the same time. I always remind myself of this when I'm using both at the same time which is everyday.