Cant browse the internet during calls...

bjzelectric

Reaction score
I was told when I purchased the phone that I could surf the web while on a call. I specifically asked b/c the ATT commercials say that their network is the only one which you can do so. The rep @ Verizon insisted that I would be able too but so far its a nogo and Im wondering if I was lied to or if there is something that Im missing here. Thank you in advance.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
I was told when I purchased the phone that I could surf the web while on a call. I specifically asked b/c the ATT commercials say that their network is the only one which you can do so. The rep @ Verizon insisted that I would be able too but so far its a nogo and Im wondering if I was lied to or if there is something that Im missing here. Thank you in advance.

You can surf the web on wifi while you're on call. Not on the 3g network.

OP
B

bjzelectric

Reaction score
I figured that. I enabled wifi but it still didnt work. Forgive my ignorance here but do I have to do anything else to access the wifi?

pyro6128

Reaction score
yea only on wifi. Out of curiosity, why is surfing and talking at the same time so important to you?

OP
B

bjzelectric

Reaction score
Its not that important its just nice to be able to multitask. If im on a long call and i wanna check emails or bank accts or even just bored and wanna play a game while talking/listening. The first time i tried to use it i was on hold for 15 minutes with my doctor.

cool username

Reaction score
yea only on wifi. Out of curiosity, why is surfing and talking at the same time so important to you?

haha i've tried thinking of a good reason why you'd need it too. the only reason i can think of is the example they used in the commercial... if your friend is on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and needs a quick answer from google

pyro6128

Reaction score
yea aside from that and the above example of being on hold for a really long time I can't see myself needing to surf and talk at the same time, and I'm around wifi almost all the time. I'd be pissed if i was talking to someone and they told me to hold on so they could surf the web haha.

and to the op, there shouldnt be anything else you have to do. Once you're connected to wifi that should be it.

cwclifford

Reaction score
Though not a frequent thing, I switched from an iPhone and it was certainly nice to be able to browse and talk at the same time when you need to. While talking to my wife I have taken pictures of items I needed her opinion on. I've also checked for show times for movies while chatting with a friend. I also used my phone for work and if I am OOO then while on a call I have no way to look up info in an email. There are many cases that for me were very useful and now I have the Droid.

Sorry, but Droid DOESN'T in this case. :)

tommyb38

Reaction score
It is not possible using 3G over CDMA. It hypothetically will be possible once 4G is launched in your area as long as you have a 4G phone and are in a 4G coverage area. To support what others have said, you are able to use the web while on wi-fi, and you can access any apps on the phone while you are in-call, so if you wanted to play a game on your device, as long as it is not an online game, you can do that during a call.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Correct

It is not possible using 3G over CDMA. It hypothetically will be possible once 4G is launched in your area as long as you have a 4G phone and are in a 4G coverage area. To support what others have said, you are able to use the web while on wi-fi, and you can access any apps on the phone while you are in-call, so if you wanted to play a game on your device, as long as it is not an online game, you can do that during a call.

DroidForums junkie!

Medicineman

Reaction score
I was reading this and surfing the web. So I had my wife call me and my phone rang, we talked. I'm on Verizon in Kansas.