Cannot update to 2.2 with rooted 2.1 (motodroid)

tjcalderon

Reaction score
I had a Motorola Droid with Froyo rooted. However my bluetooth capabilities weren't working. So I unrooted... well when I was back to 2.1 unrooted bluetooth works fine. Now I rooted my phone 2.1 but I can't update to 2.2...

What do I do?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
What problem are you running into getting 2.2 on the phone? If you have a custom recovery image and it's being blocked OTA then you'll need to force the update to install or install a stock rooted ROM. I can locate a rooted stock ROM for you without a problem.

If it's a stock recovery and just NOT coming down then that's another issue and we'll have to dig something up for you to update, but a stock update will break root. Just let us know how you want to proceed. :)

OP
T

tjcalderon

Reaction score
Like I said, I'm a noob. Whatever update.zip I used that put me back to 2.1, tells me my system is up to date. So I can't download 2.2 from verizon (OTA?) But I don't know where to find a stock 2.2 rom (or a better than stock?) or what do with it. I used sprecovery or whatever.

thanks!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you have SPRecovery then it's just a matter of update.zip flashing. Pick a ROM and install it. :) If you want stock 2.2 I'll hand you one. If you want a custom ROM like Liquid Frozen Yogurt or LithiumMod or CyanogenMod or Ultimate Droid I'll try to point you in the right direction.

OP
T

tjcalderon

Reaction score
How about an awesome 2.2 ROM, whatever you use... :icon_ banana:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Just because I use it doesn't mean it's awesome. I use it because it's awesome. ;)

I'm currently running CyanogenMod 6.1 Build 211 nightly for tonight with a P3Droid 125-1.2GHz low-voltage kernel with the stock black theme.

If you want to risk the nightlies I'll give you a link to them, but I'm heading to bed so unless some other night owl wants to help you install it you're either on your own or will have to wait till later. :)

Standard update.zip installs and you'll want the Google app pack installed as well.

TeamDouche Mirror System ROM -- I used the latest.

http://cyanogenmod-mirror.local.host.name/gapps/gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip App pack.

Kernels I can point you at but what runs well for me might not run well for you. In fact, I'd recommend you run the stock kernel at least one boot cycle to make sure the ROM doesn't screw up while burning itself in.

So, do 3x factory resets in SPRecovery, wipe data cache 3x separately, then do standard update.zip installs of the ROM and the app pack. This ROM you don't need to install the app pack before booting up the first time.

P3Droid Kernels

Index of /froyo/kernels2

Pay attention to the LV/SV/MV/ULV. That represents the voltage. Not everyone can run Low or Ultra-Low Voltage kernels. Start at stock/standard/medium voltage and speed and then build up in speed (the 800MHz kernel from P3Droid is stock speed) and go down in voltage from there, otherwise you risk boot loops.

Good luck! :) Good night!

milkman383

Reaction score
My issues are similar, and really I'm trying to get up to speed on how to do all this stuff, but my needs are pretty easy.

A friend rooted and put a rom on my droid 1 and my big desire was just to get wireless tether, which I don't use a lot, but enough to be really handy.

A few weeks later the 2.2 OTA came out, and it won't update, so I have to keep saying "install later" 10 times a day, and I'd love to get rid of that.

I have kernel 2.6.32.9-P3Droid pierce@mydroidworld #129 Build FRG01B

and I have ROM Manager and setcpu, but really don't know how to use them. I also think I have easy root. And there's some kinda ClockwordMod stuff in rom manager. And I have no idea how to use setcpu.

Ok, I'm pretty clueless.

I'd rather not do a full reset to factory and start over, but if I have to it is what it is.

Any helpful hints/reading??

thanks

OP
T

tjcalderon

Reaction score
Have you read through this thread man? They really know what they're talking about, and I think it is about time you took the step to 2.2. I've been using it since it came out and didn't like it very much, until I went back to 2.1. Like they say, so many under the hood improvements. I'm happy now, I used the new BuglessBeastv5 with the the darkedgev1.0 theme. It's really nice.

milkman383

Reaction score
No, I have 2.2, but not the official version, so the OTA update keeps bugging me to upgrade to what I already have. I'm just trying to get rid of the constant "upgrade now" warnings. Especially since I already have it!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
No, I have 2.2, but not the official version, so the OTA update keeps bugging me to upgrade to what I already have. I'm just trying to get rid of the constant "upgrade now" warnings. Especially since I already have it!
Do you have FRG22D? If you have a rooted FRG22D ROM then what you have is a Dev kernel instead of the stock kernel.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/metickone/77777-release-metickmod-frg22d.html

Flash that right over. Well, make a backup first. You shouldn't have to wipe if, in fact, you have rooted stock FRG22D, but better safe than sorry with that backup. That will shut up the OTA pushes. :)

(Or go for a custom ROM like the one I mentioned above. It really is better. ;))

milkman383

Reaction score
When you say "backup" what's the best way to do that? Sorry for the newbie questions!! I don't have FRG22B right now.

So, if I get that installed, my #1 issue of being bugged to upgrade is gone, but then I should also look into the other cool ROMS or is FRG22B a stock-ish rom, so my wireless tether will work?

I have 2 other issues with my phone, but I have a feeling they are both bad hardware and I need to either upgrade to a Droid X, live with them, or get a crapshoot re-certified phone. (Issues are when the phone is warm, like in my pocket too long, the touch screen goes insane, won't take my input and/or thinks I'm touching the screen all over the place randomly. And my camera only takes green pictures now, like maybe the CCD got messed up.)

Thanks for the help, and I'm reading your other tutorials trying to get up to speed.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you got a ROM put on you have a custom recovery image. Use that to make a backup.

If you want a custom ROM, go put one of those on as you don't need to "upgrade". You're doing a total system replacement. :)

milkman383

Reaction score
Ok, I installed the FRG22B and it went well. So, now off to look at kernels and see what's out there. The camera is still "broken" though, that's gotta be just bad CCD.

I'm learning enough about how to play to play more. Thanks!!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Happy to help. I'm glad your problem is solved.

If I could offer some suggestions for a ROM, look at (in no particular order) Ultimate Droid, CyanogenMod, Simply Stunning, Sapphire, and Liquid Frozen Yogurt. There are a bunch more, and many many good ROMs, but these will get you started. :)

milkman383

Reaction score
Thanks for everything, and my priorities are: 1. stability, 2. wifi tether, 3. stability, 4. speed, 5. other cool stuff

With that in mind, can you put an order on your list above?? :)