Cannot Receive text Messages

mjbarton3

Reaction score
I looked through all the threads but cannot seem to find an answer to this. I am using the Droid Eris on the Verizon network, KaosFroyo Eris 2.2.1 V37. On or about December 24th (I was using V36 at the time) I stopped receiving text messages. I can send them but they will not be received. What have I done?
I rooted the phone and installed V39 in the hopes this would fix it. No the GPS would not work.

I rooted it again and installed V37. GPS works but still not text received.

I have reactivated phone. I have updated roaming capabilities. Still no success.

Is it possible an update of some program is blocking them. A partial list of what I have on phone is below:

Audible
Facebook
Latitude
Gasbuddy
Homepipe
Pageone
Pandora

I do not believe I installed any new programs or changed any settings when they stopped being received.

Anybody have any ideas?

rage813

Reaction score
Unroot and do a factory reset thats all i can think of. Im not a pro with all this stuff so wait for another reply before doing this lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
M

mjbarton3

Reaction score
Thanks. I am just confused since the rooted version was allowing text messages to be recieved for over 3 months then they just stopped. I am suspecting some app is blocking it some how

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What apps did you add around the time the messages stopped coming in? How many messages do you have saved in your phone? It IS possible you have hit a "limit" for saved messages, and if you are someone who never deletes your text messages (like me!) it could be the cause.

Irie_Feeling

Reaction score
Did you check the settings in your SMS app, make sure that you have auto retrieve selected. Other than that im not sure what else it could be. Stay away from v39 its horrible. and v38 has a battery life of 2 hours a day. I have v37 and never had any issues with it so im sure its some settings that you have messed up

OP
M

mjbarton3

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have responded. The SMS is marked to auto retrieve, I do not believe I installed any new apps around the time when texts stopped coming, I have deleted all messages.
I have come to the conclusions, since other do not have a problem, that something must be blocking texts from coming in. I think I need to start from complete scratch.

What I believe I need to do is re-root the phone WITHOUT restoring data or programs. Is this nuts?

If I am understanding correctly the data would essential be my contacts which would reload upon restarting the phone. Is there other crucial data I need to be aware of? I have been using a Universal 1click rooting program which restores all the programs afterwards. I do not want to do this (I think) Is the following process best for accomplishing what I want to do?

Shutoff phone
Turn on phone while holding the down volume button.
"Recovery"
Flash from Zip using rootme.zip (not sure if this is the program from Universal 1click or not?

Reboot system when done

KaosFroyo V37 is already on the SD card from previous roots

Shut phone down again once completely rebooted

Power phone back into Recovery again...
Do full wipe data/factory reset and Dalvik-cache wipe
Flash from Zip using V37
Once completed Reboot system.

I will then do a Verizon Activation and update roaming.

Say a prayer.

Anyone see anything wrong or suggest anything.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like the way to go. Let us know how it turns out. If it doesn't work, we'll go pick the brains of the Rescue Squad ™

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
M

mjbarton3

Reaction score
Do I have to do the rootme.zip first (I think this is backing up the data)? Can I simply do a wipe then install V37. I don't want to make a brick and I do not want to back up any data. Just clarifying.

thANKS.

OP
M

mjbarton3

Reaction score
Still no luck. For some reason the apps are reinstalling from Market. Not sure how to proceed. Any ideas?

OP
M

mjbarton3

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a different ROM other then KAOS?

OP
M

mjbarton3

Reaction score
I am not an expert (obviously) so I was a little concerned about xtSenne because of the instructions. It seems to describe having to download something else AMON_RA in order to flash it to the phone (using terminal and putting all kinds of commands).

One thought I had was to flash it back to its original settings (how do I do this) then bring to Verizon and tell them I cannot get messages?

Thoughts?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you are rooted, I would bet money on you having Amon_RA's recovery installed already. Boot into recovery and look at the top of your screen.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
M

mjbarton3

Reaction score
Says "Android system recovery"

Bottom says RA-eris-v.6.2