Cannot Activate Droid with *228 "phone not authorized" message

Truegamergirl

Reaction score
Hi, I tried putting my ESN on reachoutwireless and calling them with the esn to switch phones it simply does not go through, I press *228 and All I get is a "Your phone is not authorized to make calls to from this phone number if you would like additional capabilities added to your account please call customer service" then it goes to the spanish version of it then "Programing unsuccessful". someone I know has this service on the same phone and this company uses Verizon network. I don't know what the problem is. Is there anything I need to set on the phone? It was bought used clean ESN checked online and I did call verizon they verified it was clear.

OP
T

Truegamergirl

Reaction score

Quick

Reaction score
I did that first on the online to change The ESN on the account. Then contacted them they tried several codes to send and nothing. it kept saying the same thing. it is weird because they use verizon network. I can't get this phone to activate :(

It just sounds like you're not connected to their network. Reachoutwireless is currently authorized in 13 states? I assume you are in one of those?

Reachoutwireless does know your location right?

Do they know what phone you have? They offer basic services, and for a fee some slightly less basic services. They might not even allow/work with smartphones.

OP
T

Truegamergirl

Reaction score
It just sounds like you're not connected to their network. Reachoutwireless is currently authorized in 13 states? I assume you are in one of those?

Reachoutwireless does know your location right?

Do they know what phone you have? They offer basic services, and for a fee some slightly less basic services. They might not even allow/work with smartphones.
Yes they do. They tried yesterday to manually activate it. it just rings and rings and says "programing unsuccessful" I don't know what is wrong :( Yeah they do sell some Androids. I seen some people online saying they activated this phone.

Quick

Reaction score
I suppose you might try calling VZW, tell them you know Reachout is not VZW but you understand that Reachout uses VZW's network and ask them why they think it isn't working... I wouldn't expect more than "you will have to call Reachout" but you never know. Ask them how you can tell who is answering your call to *228. I think there is some way to do that. Did you try *611? I think maybe *611 will work with an unregistered phone. If someone answers you will at least know whose network you're on.

With CDMA you will connect to any CDMA network. And, in fact, every network has to provide access to 911 if the phone can "physically" connect to the wireless network (phone transceiver same as network technology). When you do the *228 thing it "programs" the phone. More a matter of downloading the PRL and registering your ESN with the provider so you get access to whatever calling in addition to 911. Lol, sometimes, if not registered, you used to get an option to provide a credit card and make a toll call at some outrageous rate. If it's ringing that simply means that your phone is connected to the wireless network (has a signal) and you're probably connecting to something on the other end.

Last edited:

johnson33

Reaction score
How does this work without paying for a hotspot plan? Are there possible repercussions?

Quick

Reaction score
How does this work without paying for a hotspot plan? Are there possible repercussions?
I think you replied to the wrong thread... this one is about phone service and third party providers that use VZW's network.

WoWPlayer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid x2
TrueGamerGirl, did you ever get your Droid to work??? I am having the SAME exact problem now! The *228 isn't working. At one point I had reachout on chat and a tech from VZW on the phone... Even went to Motorola and they did a factory reset so I know everything is clear. Frustrating pain in the butt reachout's tech support isn't very helpful or knowledgeable about their service!