Can you disable the swipe to unlock?

deputydog95

Reaction score
I find the button on the top is more than enough to secure it and lock the screen. The swipe is just another extra step.

Can that be turned off?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't know why nobody hasn't answered this but no you can't bypass the swipe.

OP
D

deputydog95

Reaction score
That sucks. It's rather annoying. I don't mind it when the phone rings, but every time you wake the phone up???

The Droid may be going to back to the store unfortunately for a Tour....

A

apeshitninja

sort of a pain, but you really should think about enabling an unlock pattern. The Droid is more than just a phone, and if someone should happen to steal yours you don't want them to have instant access to all of you personal info.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely give yourself a chance to get familiar with the Droid before you go to a Tour...
You'll never forgive yourself for going back to a Tour over a simple issue such as the lock screen.... The Droid has so much more potential and functionality than any BB device... treat yourself and stick around :)

nunka

Reaction score
Not true.

Look for "Screen Mode Widget" in the app store. It's free, it's lightweight, and it does exactly what you're looking for. The "Sleep Auto" mode presents the default swipe-to-unlock screen, while "Awake Stay" and "Screen Stay" both bring you right to your home screen from a press of any of the physical buttons.

The only problem with this (and other similar apps) is there doesn't seem to be any way to make it so only the power button wakes your Droid.

Jer

Reaction score
Not true.

Look for "Screen Mode Widget" in the app store. It's free, it's lightweight, and it does exactly what you're looking for. The "Sleep Auto" mode presents the default swipe-to-unlock screen, while "Awake Stay" and "Screen Stay" both bring you right to your home screen from a press of any of the physical buttons.

The only problem with this (and other similar apps) is there doesn't seem to be any way to make it so only the power button wakes your Droid.

...or disable the volume/camera buttons. If either of these would happen the app would be perfect. Otherwise it's pretty pointless since the slightest tap of the volume toggle turns the screen back on and unlocks the phone.

OP
D

deputydog95

Reaction score
That's what I mean. There is no good solution. The volume/camera buttons are so easy to depress it would be turning itself back on non stop.

The screen is so sensitive on this you'd be butt dialing people non stop :)

Not to mention I really don't like any of the keyboards on this device. If there was no dpad, the regular kb would be okay. But since its shifted to the right, you are forced to stretch your hand a bit, or adjust that style and use your left hand more.

I have a love hate relationship with the touch screen. It's great for flicking through stuff, but it seems I spend a ton of time hitting the back button.

I am having a real problem with the visual voicemail. If I hold it up to my ear to listen to the vm's, inevitably something on my face pushes a button and sends the phone off in some other direction.

I could probably live with most of that, but the big deal breaker for me is that lack of phone profiles. I monitor multiple email/text/messenger accounts for my business. There are some profile apps, but nothing that will allow you select certain email accounts to ring through, and others to be silenced. This is critical for me as I need to have an on call setting where the phone and certain emails ring, but everything else (text, personal email, standard email, etc) don't ring. I've done some research and for whatever reason no one has copied one of the most basic features on the BB.

As long as I'm complaining, I can't seem to find a way to have an icon to individual email accounts either. For example, I monitor four gmail accounts. I would like to have icons for each of them on my desktop. Which you can do, sort of. However, they are all automatically labeled "inbox" and there doesn't appear to be a way to change that so you can't tell which are which.

This is really frustrating as I am a power google user and I love how the phone synchs OTA with my desktop.

romangreen23

Reaction score
I would very much wish that an app or new setting was pushed through so that the phone only requires the Unlock Pattern after it has been off for say, at least 5 minutes. There have been so many times I am actively used the phone while watching a sports game or doing something else (not driving) and frustratingly, I would have to hard-press the top button AND go through the unlock motion when it simply put itself to sleep in 30-60 seconds.

nunka

Reaction score
I would very much wish that an app or new setting was pushed through so that the phone only requires the Unlock Pattern after it has been off for say, at least 5 minutes. There have been so many times I am actively used the phone while watching a sports game or doing something else (not driving) and frustratingly, I would have to hard-press the top button AND go through the unlock motion when it simply put itself to sleep in 30-60 seconds.
Screeble? Sounds like that could be a solution for you. Basically, this app monitors the angle at which you're holding your phone and disables the sleep function if you're holding it in a certain angle range (i.e. not flat, not vertical), and allows you to keep a very low screen timeout value for when your phone is outside that range. It's a pretty amazing app... not for me, though, because it made me a little paranoid about the way I hold my phone.

nyguy4u

Reaction score
I was also going to download "Screen Mode Widget" from the market, because I HATE having to hit the power button on the top, then slide unlock. I'd much rather hit any button to unlock the phone. However, the reviews on it aren't that great for Droid owners. Is it a decent program??