Can someone help me figure out whats wrong with my phone?

OP
K

KateKup

Reaction score
i don't need a computer or anything? cuz I'm kind of lacking in the computer department... I'm mega broke T.T lol

OP
K

KateKup

Reaction score
i *think* i just downloaded the right app. I'm going to go write down any important info and such, reset, and see if it helps at all and I'll get back to you guys with the answer when I'm done. thanks for all the help. sorry I'm such a fail at electronics and technical type gargle lol

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Which app is it? I will check it out and see if it will work for you.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Here's a few things.

1), check your system settings about phone and see what version you are running. If it is Android 2.3.6 and the info somewhere says .6.13.219. in it you are running the official update. You could still be rooted, check for a SuperUser app in your app drawer. Not an absolute, but usually goes hand in hand with the phone being rooted.

2), game position is a very very lame reason to continue using a device that is as screwy as yours from your description. Not trying to be harsh or mean....but seriously....your phone is acting that poorly and you are more worried about a game position? Factory Reset the device. This is a no brainer.

3), Android will see free available memory and load apps in to them. Not launch them, just hold them in memory. This requires no extra CPU or battery usage (holding a pattern of 1's and 0's takes the same amount of battery and CPU as holding a block of 0's). This is the way Android was designed and will function much better if you do NOT force stop these apps. Most people see them and assume they are running....not true....just loaded in to available memory for faster access by you the user. Some apps (especially Verizon Bloatware) have very high priorities set on them and tend to load up in available memory. You can correct this with root and freezing those but by force stopping them (and you've noticed they are right back up again) you are killing your battery and wasting resources faster as the OS is using battery/CPU to reload those apps in to memory.

4) The phone should never download apps on it's own. Most likely an app you've downloaded has started this process and this is not a good thing. Factory Reset.....start over. Sign in, setup the phone and download apps one at a time. See if you can find the offending app. It also sounds as if your phone is rooted but so you may want to download SuperUser from the Market and see. If the device is rooted but has no Superuser app...any and every application can take root control without asking you for permission....that's what Superuser does for you. If you run Superuser and doesn't allow you to grant root access rights...then you aren't rooted and you can uninstall it. Oh...Factory Reset does not unroot your device.

5) Factory Reset the phone. Save yourself all the hassles you are going through, set the phone up again and start your game over.

I'm not trying to be rude...but something is messing your phone up WAY more than it should. It should NOT get overly hot, especially if not in use. It should NOT charge weird/strangely and it should hold a charge for at least 19 or so hours. It should NOT download apps. It should NOT overly lag and freeze. Eliminate the guess work and Factory Reset. If it continues on just your account with no apps installed by you.......take it to Verizon and swap it out.

OP
K

KateKup

Reaction score
the phone was given to me with the expressed intention of me playing games on it because my boyfriend was tired of me always taking his phone. this phone has no Sim card so no calls can be made and it had no 3G.
i mainly play one logic game on here and have finished over 200 puzzles out of 800+ puzzles. again not a great reason to leave the phone broken but I'm not ready to delete all my progress yet.
as far as apps opening its usually things like Facebook or games that send notifications but i thought i had turned off the notifications. it kept opening apps that i never used before which lines up with what you said crews but it seems like i get a lot of game popups or games reopening themselves.

i just spoke to my parental units who have much newer Android phones (they just got phone updates) they both said that theirs get petty hot as well while they're using them. the house stays at a somewhat high temperature most of the day and despite having the ceiling fan on all day, my room trends to get the hottest. could that be what's causing it to overheat. (I'm not stupid. that just hadn't occurred to me until i found out that i wasn't the only one in the house with this problem)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
its a thirty day fee trial of 'my backup'

Looking at the description of mybackup, it looks like it does not save data/settings for applications. Unfortunately, unless I am interpreting that wrong then it will not save your game for you.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
i mainly play one logic game on here and have finished over 200 puzzles out of 800+ puzzles. again not a great reason to leave the phone broken but I'm not ready to delete all my progress yet.

If you are only using it for games and not calls, which we did not know, and can tolerate the phone as is then you do not need to do the reset. As I said before it is up to you and if you do not want to go ahead with it then do not.

as far as apps opening its usually things like Facebook or games that send notifications but i thought i had turned off the notifications. it kept opening apps that i never used before which lines up with what you said crews but it seems like i get a lot of game popups or games reopening themselves.

I will second what crews said here, it is just how Android manages applications so it is not unnecessary.

i just spoke to my parental units who have much newer Android phones (they just got phone updates) they both said that theirs get petty hot as well while they're using them. the house stays at a somewhat high temperature most of the day and despite having the ceiling fan on all day, my room trends to get the hottest. could that be what's causing it to overheat. (I'm not stupid. that just hadn't occurred to me until i found out that i wasn't the only one in the house with this problem)

If your surroundings are hot and you use the phone continuously, then it seems to reason it could cause the heat issues. I know if I am using my phone outside on a hot day it heats up pretty fast.

Kodie

Reaction score
I have a few issues with my phone that are the same as yours.

- no matter how many times i go into the manage apps option and manually close all unnecessary apps, they somehow reopen themselves, again while completely unattended.
- it will heat up randomly even while in sleep mode
- it takes much longer than normal to charge
- it is acting sluggish and often lags for a few seconds before recognizing commands such as text and even then skips half of what was supposed to be done
- it infrequently will download apps on its own accord

I am not sure what the problem is yet. I was having the battery issue, but I simply wrote out all the apps I had installed, uninstalled them all, and went through and re-installed them 1 by 1 and read all the permissions, and I found 3 or more out of the 51 apps I had that had something like "Wake up phone from sleep" or "Prevent phone from sleeping". Which after I removed those applications my battery will hold out for over 30 hours. As for the downloading apps on its own accord, I believe you are nearly accurate
with your guess. But based on my research, unless you root your device it is not possible to obtain a virus on your phone Android or Apple devices. Only ad-ware. I have
though proven that ad-ware may access the needed permissions to download any app it chooses, whether it is in the app-store or not. That is why I have taken an extra measures of putting BitDefender Mobile AntiVirus on my phone. I don't know if this helps you at all but this is just what I know I had to do to fix these problems. Your problem with the apps opening
themselves is simply that the app has given itself permission to launch without your consent, or another app or process in your system is requesting certain apps to be opened so it may execute tasks. Was not able to stop this yet.

Hope this helps.