Can someone help me figure out whats wrong with my phone?

KateKup

Reaction score
Heres a list of my issues (excuse the poor grammar but ive typed this several times and am too lazy to capitalize or use correct puntuation)

- it will not seem to hold a charge for longer than half an hour, even when left unattended will all apps supposedly closed
- no matter how many times i go into the manage apps option and manually close all unnecessary apps, they somehow reopen themselves, again while completely unattended.
- it will heat up randomly even while in sleep mode
- it takes much longer than normal to charge
- it is acting sluggish and often lags for a few seconds before recognizing commands such as text and even then skips half of what was supposed to be done
- it infrequently will download apps on its own accord
- it often does not recognize when i click on links in web browsers (most of the time i need to click the link, click a blank spot on the page, and then click the link a second time and sometimes that doesnt even work)
- the touch screen seems to have become uncalibrated. while im typing this it keeps setting my keyboard to numbers or it will type letters that arent even close to the ones i typed.

I thought, mainly due to apps being uploaded on their own, that this could be a virus.
thinking this, i decided to go through and delete any and all apps that seemed as if they were the cause as well as anything that looked suspicious.
im getting really frustrated with all these issues and although im grateful to have a phone at all, its getting difficult to use the phone for anythjng i want to and i dont have the money to fix it or replace it.

OP
K

KateKup

Reaction score
i tried to edit my post but my phone refused to let me see what i was typing.

i just wanted to say that i did get this phone second hand and im not sure what was done to it before it fell into my possession.
also i play a lot of phone games and tend to kill batteries rather fast which could account for the battery problems but can excessive game play cause all of the other symptoms?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums. Sorry you are having all these issues :(

I typically don't recommend this right off the bat but in this case I would suggest trying to do a factory reset (especially if you did not after buying it from this person). It is not a definite fix and it will erase all your apps and settings so as long as you are OK with that, I think it is worth a try.

OP
K

KateKup

Reaction score
if i find out I'm left with no other choice then i will do that but I'm sure you can understand my reluctance to do that first rather than leave it as a last resort. thank you for you're help though. i do appreciate it. =)

OP
K

KateKup

Reaction score
is it possible that these problems aren't all related? i know Dr house doesn't believe in coincidences but last i checked he wasn't a phone tech. would it be worth my time to try to fix each problem individually???

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Personally I don't think it would be worth it to tackle all of them individually, just based on the shear number of issues and the fact that so many different things are effected. But that is just my opinion and you should not do the reset unless you truly want to because as I said it is not a definite fix anyway.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
I'm with jsm on this one. Only other option you could try first is a new battery. We know that a non oem charger can cause the screen to go crazy so if your battery its fried its possible that voltage its causing the issues. Yes, even downloading apps (random false screen touches opening the market). You say you can't hold a charge and the phone heats up randomly sounds like a battery issue. After a new battery would be a factory reset. Good luck!

This post is Incredible 2

OP
K

KateKup

Reaction score
to be completely honest the reason i don't want to reset it yet is the same reason its frustrating me. I've been playing this game on here and I've gotten really far but i keep having to restart levels due to the glitches. so if i reset, my game would reset too. lame reason but yeah that's pretty much it.

OP
K

KateKup

Reaction score
exactly how much does a new battery usually cost? if is too much i may have to just deal for now...

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Not sure about the Droid 4 battery, but Amazon used to have really good deals on replacement batteries. I would try there first.

OP
K

KateKup

Reaction score
i... don't really know what 'rooted' means. I'm the absolute opposite of a tech guru. I'm honestly not even sure if this is a Droid or a Droid 4...

you are definitely going to have to dumb things down for me

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
If you don't know then you probably are not rooted, unless it came that way. And as far as what phone you have, look under Settings > About Phone and in there you should see a model number.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Ok, that means not rooted LOL. Open the play store app and search for titanium backup. Thats not the app you want but it will put you in the right search results area. Look through the app descriptions until you find one for a non rooted phone that will backup apps. Install, backup your apps, data factory reset.

This post is Incredible 2

OP
K

KateKup

Reaction score
apparently I've got a Droid RAZR... i told you I'm a lost cause when it comes to phones...