Can Screen come on when Receiving New Email/Message?

mrredskin

Reaction score
I keep my phone on silent at work, like a good little worker-drone should. How in the world do you get the screen to come on showing you have a new email or message? Is there a way? Currently it's impossible for me to check unless I tap the power/unlock button

keiichi25

Reaction score
I don't believe there is currently an option to do that, nor do I think there is an app at the moment. However, I do know that if you set it to show notification, (Sound can be set silent, but notification on), it will put up a blinking light in the upper right hand corner of the droid. (At least, for the Motorola Droid, that is what I see)

nite 0wl

Reaction score
There is the notification light in the top right corner next to the 'ear-piece' on the Motorola Droid, it normally blinks green when I have a notification and red when the battery gets too low.

The other option is to go into settings for the functions you want to be notified about at work and set them to vibrate and just leave the phone on Silent or Vibrate mode.
[For instance, if you want Gmail to notify you when new messages arrive: Gmail > Menu > Settings > (scroll down to "Notification settings" and check off 'Email notifications' and 'Vibrate'. Now new Gmail messages will display a visual notification and vibrate the phone, even when the ringer is turned off.]

tablatronix

Reaction score
sms popup might be able to help with messages, i dont think anyone has figured out how to hook the email notifications yet.

Missed call lets you set LED behavior for some other notifications also, so you can differentiate. Again no email solution though.

mangmang

Reaction score
Re

Yes i would like to know if there has been a solution to that problem.When im at work sometimes i dont feel the phone vibrate and I wish the screen could light up when there is a new notification.Any suggestions?

nite 0wl

Reaction score
Yes i would like to know if there has been a solution to that problem.When im at work sometimes i dont feel the phone vibrate and I wish the screen could light up when there is a new notification.Any suggestions?

There is a notification light in the top right corner that blinks green when you have a message notification. If you have the Droid plugged into a power source it will keep the screen lit and your notification bar will be visible.

mangmang

Reaction score
Hey nite owl thank u for ur response. How about the whole screen turning on when there is a new notification bot just the little blinking light

timp

Reaction score
I would also like to see this. Many times I have the phone sitting next to me, and I hate having to turn it on and pull down the notification to see what's in the email every time my phone beeps. It would be nice if the screen came on for 5 seconds or so and displayed the email.

dandv

Reaction score
EasySMS

I keep my phone on silent at work, like a good little worker-drone should. How in the world do you get the screen to come on showing you have a new email or message? Is there a way? Currently it's impossible for me to check unless I tap the power/unlock button

I have the same setup - the phone connected to my computer at work via the USB cable, and I send/receive texts.

I use EasySMS, which lets me type messages from the computer (WAY faster) via a web browser. EasySMS has an option to pop-up a notification in the browser, even if the phone screen is off.