Can it be done? Flashing build748??

bullswife98

Reaction score
I am wondering if it can be done,is it possible to flash build 748 through the native recovery? I have rooted and installed safestrap on my phone not knowing that by doing so it would not let me receive Ota updates. I am in non safe mode even in unstalled it, de-rooted via voodoo rootkeeper and never removed bloat. And some how safestrap changed my system. The ota still does not update successfuly to my phone. I am essentialy stuck. Keep in mind that I have done all of this w/o a computer! Any help would be GREAT! As I don't want to stay in 748 for the next two years! So is there a way to flash the 748build w/o using a computer? Don't care if it breaks root, just want the normal 748 un-rooted build back so I can update to the latest build173.

Sent from my Rooted Razr's keyboard to your eyes! :)

Last edited:

gling

Reaction score
While I am far from an expert on all things rooting/flashing, I can give you my experiences with my Razr and maybe one of the guru's will chime in if there's a better way. I rooted my phone shortly after getting it in Nov. but have never installed safestrap/bootstrap so your results may vary.
I've used the fastboot file to flash back from the leaked 173 to 748 in order to join the soak so I don't know why you couldn't flash the same to get back the files that are corrupt in your system. I now keep the zip files for 744, 748 ,173 on my external SD just for the purpose of restoring to previous versions if necessary.
I assume you've tried uninstalling safestrap, changed your preinstall folder with the correct one as recommended on various threads, as well as a factory data reset as a last resort and still can't receive the update.
I've flashed back and forth a number of times (on my phone) between 744/748/173 while keeping root with Doomlord and Voodoo so I'm pretty sure rooting has nothing to do with your issue. Even a factory reset isn't a big deal with the help of TB to restore apps and data.
I've been in your situation before trying to get the original 748 update from 744, after I was a little naive in deleting bloat when I first got the phone, so I know how frustrating it can be. With the help in the forums, I eventually got it worked out. If you haven't seen the thread on Droidrzr.com, it has some useful information for your situation.
Good luck.
http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/298-so-your-ota-failed-read-this-updated-on-252012/

OP
bullswife98

bullswife98

Reaction score
Ok so to do a factory data/reset that can be accessed through the native recovery right? That won't wipe everything just reset it am I correct in this? I don't have a computer to do anything else. I only have my phone.

gling

Reaction score
I do it through stock recovery. I actually used it after returning to 748 to be sure I was going to be stock for the soak. It keeps your current os version but will delete your downloaded apps and you'll have to set up your Google account, email, ringtones, settings, etc. It also won't delete anything on your external SD card. I use Titanium to restore apps and data after the restore is complete (although some do come back through the Google setup) and the rest is just an hour or so of user preference setup. I'm not sure if this will solve your problem (with safestrap) but is certainly worth a try seeing the position your in.
Let me know how it works.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You have to use the fast boot files to get safestrap off your phone and get all the file systems back in place. Just doing a wipe data or cache from the stock recovery will do nothing for you. You need a computer for what you are trying to accomplish.

Reaction score
I am wondering if it can be done,is it possible to flash build 748 through the native recovery? I have rooted and installed safestrap on my phone not knowing that by doing so it would not let me receive Ota updates. I am in non safe mode even in unstalled it, de-rooted via voodoo rootkeeper and never removed bloat. And some how safestrap changed my system. The ota still does not update successfuly to my phone. I am essentialy stuck. Keep in mind that I have done all of this w/o a computer! Any help would be GREAT! As I don't want to stay in 748 for the next two years! So is there a way to flash the 748build w/o using a computer? Don't care if it breaks root, just want the normal 748 un-rooted build back so I can update to the latest build173.

I remember you mentioning this in another post. Did you try the method I recommended about replacing the pre install files? If you never removed anything and the only thing wrong is that safe strap was used, you can fix that without a computer. Just download the correct pre install files, placed them where they need to be, and you should be good for the ota.

Also, I forgot to mention in the other post that after you place the correct pre install files, you will need to make sure their permissions are correct.

If you have thr four correct files in your preinstall folder (of course you neet root to do this) make sure the permissions are like this, if not you can change permissions using root explorer:

Preinstall folder: rwxrwx--x
app folder (inside preinstall folder): rwxr-xr-x
KnowYourDevice: rwxr-xr-x
lost+found: rwx------
md5: rwx-xr-x

Then go to your systems folder, there will be another preinstall folder and that folder permissions are rwxrwxrwx

If you tried that and it failed, you will need a computer to get back in track.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited: