Can I put a international sim card into my verizon world phone D2G when traveling?

droidfellow

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip out of the country in January, and I have a Droid 2 Global (soon to be a Droid Razr M). I know that Verizon lets you use their world phone when travelling but to me the rates are insane. Has anyone tried using a internationally sim card in a verizon world phone while traveling out of the USA? Is it even possible?

vatothe0

Reaction score
Re: Can I

I'm planning a trip out of the country in January, and I have a Droid 2 Global (soon to be a Droid Razr M). I know that Verizon lets you use their world phone when travelling but to me the rates are insane. Has anyone tried using a internationally sim card in a verizon world phone while traveling out of the USA? Is it even possible?

Only if you get it unlocked.

beefchopper

Reaction score

Some including the Razr's and the iphone are unlocked out of the box for that purpose. See: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/212942-international-travel-razr-maxx.html

Bishang

Reaction score
It's already global capable, so in theory you should be able to use a SIM card from another country with your D2 Global.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Re: Can I put a international sim card into my verizon world phone D2G when traveling

Just have to call their customer support/global support to get it unlocked. Although you may or may not only ever have 2 bars of signal. Doesn't make a huge difference though.

Breakfast beats worrying.

edwinmiller

Reaction score
It would be better if you directly come in contact with Verizon’s Wireless Global Support Team because SIM unlocking procedure will be completed by team.

If you want SIM unlocking, the company wants following qualifications.

1. Must be a Verizon Wireless customer
2. The device being unlocked must be active on a Verizon Wireless line of service.
3. The line of service must be active at least 60 days.
4. The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.
5. Only one SIM Unlock per line every 10 months.
6. The customer's manufacturer's device warranty is not affected by a SIM unlock as long as the customer remains with Verizon Wireless.

Teener

Reaction score
I don't know if Droid Razr M is the same as the Razr Maxx, but the answer is absolutely yes, you can use a foreign SIM in it, and it's not locked. I just returned from 24 days in Italy and had no problems using the Razr Maxx with an Italian SIM.
I went to the cellular provider's store and bought the SIM card, they inserted the card and set up all the techy stuff I don't understand, and I had an Italian phone number and 3G with no roaming charges. When I got back to the US, I just powered the phone off and re-inserted the Verizon SIM, powered up and I was right back onto my Verizon plan.
Have a safe trip!

sapam

Reaction score
I am also having an international SIM card from Tsim. I unlocked my phone for using an international SIM card. Call the customer care support of version worlds phone they will explain you the complete process of unlocking it.

redlauren

Reaction score
i went to a verizon store and the guy told me i could unlock my phone by calling *611 well when i called them they told me there was no way in hell i could unlock my phone. i'm leaving the country in 2 days and i really need my phone unlocked so that i can put a international Sim card in my phone when i get there. i'm also putting my phone on hold while i'm over there, but once again the guy at the Verizon store said that it would be no problem. please help!!

beefchopper

Reaction score
i went to a verizon store and the guy told me i could unlock my phone by calling *611 well when i called them they told me there was no way in hell i could unlock my phone. i'm leaving the country in 2 days and i really need my phone unlocked so that i can put a international Sim card in my phone when i get there. i'm also putting my phone on hold while i'm over there, but once again the guy at the Verizon store said that it would be no problem. please help!!

Which phone do you have? Many are already unlocked.

beefchopper

Reaction score
Which phone do you have? Many are already unlocked.

You'll need to know exactly which phone you have. The original Razr, I believe, was not 4G and therefore did not even have a sim card. There is no way that can be made to accept a foreign sim card if that is correct. I suggest you find the model name or number of your exact phone and google something like "unlock Verizon razr ___" and you will probably find instructions on how to unlock it if it is at all possible. As I said before, some phones are already unlocked. Some others cannot be unlocked but many can be. If your phone is one of the models that is not already unlocked but can be you can usually find a code to unlock it on wither Google or buy an unlock code cheaply on eBay.

redlauren

Reaction score
i called Verizon technical support again and this time they transferred me to the global department and they said my phone was already unlocked. so i'm good to go. thanks for all your help. i guess that lady was new or i confused her with my question.

beefchopper

Reaction score
i called Verizon technical support again and this time they transferred me to the global department and they said my phone was already unlocked. so i'm good to go. thanks for all your help. i guess that lady was new or i confused her with my question.

Great. Remember, when you put in a foreign sim card you should be able to get voice on the phone right away. To get data you will need to direct the phone to the APN information of the cell service company whose sim card you are using.