Can I image my Incredible?

Snacko

Reaction score
I want to backup my entire droid incredible.

At some point down the road, I may want to restore my device. But from what I have read, you cannot 'image' the droid system like you can a pc using Ghost or Acronis?

You can only Use Backup Assistant for contacts; get your contacts/calendar on GMail; backup your SDCard...

I found TitaniumBackup and it said it would backup the entire system, but I would need to root the device. Is that really what it can do? Backup everything, Styles, and all?? If that is the only reason that I have to root the device, that does not seem to be worth it.

Is there other ways to backup everything?

What are the reasons to consider Rooting the device? Are there other benefits?

Thanks,
Snack

Mojo

Reaction score
Rooting will allow for much more than creating a back up. You will have a custom recovery image, making it near impossible to brick your device. You can do full nandroid backups (I think this is what u want to do) you can overclock your processor. The Droid handles that nicely. Add wifi tether. Edit images and more. The list goes on. But to do what you want to do will require root.

OP
S

Snacko

Reaction score
Are there security risks of rooting? Will it open up the device for other apps, viruses, hacks, ect...?

PS: Can I root without loosing my data and apps, or does rooting require you to start from a certain point like a factory or root system setup?

Mojo

Reaction score
You could download an app with a virus with out being rooted. If there was any. But there has been no known apps like that to date.
As for keeping data you might loose it when you root.

OP
S

Snacko

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for your help. :)

I'll keep looking into this then..

Snack