Can Google Legally Allow Children To Sign Up?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
large_GOOGLE_DEVELOPERS.JPG

Google has been working to overhaul its Web services so it can legally allow children to use them, as it becomes more willing to tolerate hairy legal requirements in exchange for growth.

The contemplated features include a dashboard for parents to oversee their kids’ activities, a child-safe version of YouTube and requiring people who sign up for a Google account on devices powered by Google’s Android software to share their age. Google requires people to share their age when they sign up for Google services on personal computers.

Can Google really build a safe environment for kids? What are your thoughts?

Read more about it HERE

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
google-classroom.jpg
Will they ever build a 100% safe environment, nope that is why parents need to parent. With that said it is a smart and necessary move. With Google launching their education platform they need to walk the walk in trying to establish parameters that will help google in the classroom. Plus having dashboards in place provide tools to help parents "parent" and monitor their children's activities online.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
google-classroom.jpg
Will they ever build a 100% safe environment, nope that is why parents need to parent. With that said it is a smart and necessary move. With Google launching their education platform they need to walk the walk in trying to establish parameters that will help google in the classroom. Plus having dashboards in place provide tools to help parents "parent" and monitor their children's activities online.
Well said!

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm skeptical that any system would work. Google would be better off just enforcing the over 18 law.
Can't say they haven't tried. Unfortunately, peeps lie about their age. How would Google know if they are 12 or 22?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think Google realize that people are going to be deceitful. Google is not doing this knowing they will stop all from breaking the rule it is just a move made to show the perception that they are trying to make the internet safer for kids so they are the go to search engine in the classrooms.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
What they are doing is adding an additional revenue stream by increasing traffic and giving kids their special place on the web.
Brilliant move.

D

Divergent

I like the classroom idea, legally on Youtube while in class hehehe

Sent through my brain using impulses