Can anyone help a Droid X user with Geocaching?

AtlantisDesign

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I have had the Droid X since late Septemeber of 2010. I LOVE the phone and just bought the Sensio Rugged Combo case for it.

I am really intrested in talking to other members that use the Droid X for geocaching as well as everyday use.

I am a full time student at Evergreen State College in Olympia. I will graduate in the Spring of 2011 with a degree in Computer Forensics among other subjects.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I have had the Droid X since late Septemeber of 2010. I LOVE the phone and just bought the Sensio Rugged Combo case for it.

I am really intrested in talking to other members that use the Droid X for geocaching as well as everyday use.

I am a full time student at Evergreen State College in Olympia. I will graduate in the Spring of 2011 with a degree in Computer Forensics among other subjects.
Hello, I don't have a DX, but I have been geocaching with my Original Droid, Droid 2 and now my Thunderbolt. I can tell you that the best app out there for geocaching hands down is a program called c:geo - look for it in the market. You'll be really impressed with it. The coordinates always take me right to ground zero.

Hope that helps. I also advise you check out the geocaching.com website which is the main one for the geocaching hobby.

OP
A

AtlantisDesign

Reaction score
Hey there,

Actually I have been geocaching for a little bit now. Just cant seem to get the Droid X to get to ground zero correctly. I am about 20 or 30 feet off sometimes. I can find caches but not with my phone.

I used a Motorola Droid R2-D2 Star Wars Edition phone and it took me right there. Totally crazy walking in the woods with a little R2-D2 in my hand but it worked. Took me right to ground zero. So I'm a little frustrated, I have even calibrated my compass (outdoors and away from electronics), dowloaded many apps with GPS stuff or compasses....

But I am still totally lost. Just wondering if other people has ran into the same problem and if they have, what they did to solve the problem.

By the way, c:geo runs REALLY slow on my phone. Same for yours?

onebuilder

Reaction score
Hey there,

Actually I have been geocaching for a little bit now. Just cant seem to get the Droid X to get to ground zero correctly. I am about 20 or 30 feet off sometimes. I can find caches but not with my phone.

I used a Motorola Droid R2-D2 Star Wars Edition phone and it took me right there. Totally crazy walking in the woods with a little R2-D2 in my hand but it worked. Took me right to ground zero. So I'm a little frustrated, I have even calibrated my compass (outdoors and away from electronics), dowloaded many apps with GPS stuff or compasses....

But I am still totally lost. Just wondering if other people has ran into the same problem and if they have, what they did to solve the problem.

By the way, c:geo runs REALLY slow on my phone. Same for yours?

I also am frustrated with cgeo. Locks up, slow and way off. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling, recalibrating with no luck.

Anyone have a fix?

FernBch

Reaction score
I use c:geo and have no issue so far. I also downloaded an app called gps status by EclipSim, helped improve gps accuracy on my DX. The free version has ads but I also dl'd the donate version and I'm ad-free!!

Also remember. GPS coords are not always exact. Even with a true GPS device you can be off as much as 10-15 feet or more at times. My DX's accuracy is usually in the 15-20 foot range with gps status and sometimes more without it. GPS status can also be used with c:geo for the compass and radar functions.

EDIT: FYI-The only time I notice "lag", if that's what you want to call it, is during data transfers but I think that's a product of my 3G connection.

Last edited:

geo315

Reaction score
I to have d/l c:geo.. I dont know how to get it to recieve the caches from geocaching.com. any help would be appreciated. thanks geo.

FernBch

Reaction score
I to have d/l c:geo.. I dont know how to get it to recieve the caches from geocaching.com. any help would be appreciated. thanks geo.

You need an account on geocaching.com. In the settings menu for c:geo there is a place to enter your username and password for your gc account. From there you should be good to go.

FernBch

Reaction score
FWIW - There's one other thing that I do that helps me when I'm having trouble locating a cache. I'll switch from the compass/radar to the map if I have trouble finding one. That way it gives me an idea of where it is geographically. I can then look for an identifying landmark, tree line, creek, etc., to help me zero in when I'm close but not exactly on the spot.