camping and Apps

slayda

Reaction score
I have Viamici. It isn't free (or cheap) but it is quite interesting if there are posted maps of the trails where you hike that you can take a picture of with your Droid. With two input points it will show you on your trail map picture where you are. You can zoom & pan the picture. Of course it requires GPS be on to see that but you can turn it off while hiking and just turn it on when you need a location fix.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Get oruxmaps. It allows you to download topo maps (and a lot of other map types also) for your area before you leave so it will still work in airplane mode. You can also load up trail gpx files while in the TB Atlas Creator which will be superimposed on the topo map though many trails show up already on the topo maps. The advantage of oruxmaps over rmap is that oruxmaps allows you download only one zoom level from TB Atlas Creator, and it will still alllow you to zoom in and out. With RMAPS and other apps, you have to download additional zoom levels if you want to zoom in and out which means you use a ton more space on your sdcard. With Oruxmaps, you will have more storage space to download a much larger area.

http://oruxmaps.x10hosting.com/index_en.html

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-orux-oruxmaps-jttx.aspx

Last edited:
OP
drummerq

drummerq

Reaction score
hey guys,

just got back from my trip and it was great, weather was awesome.

On the gps. I had my droid fully charged, I turned it on at 9 and started hiking right away. I left everything on (didnt put it into airplane mode) and was using my tracks. I didnt call anybody or do anything other then use my tracks during the hike. The my tracks works great. I would post a .gpx file here but idk what im doin. (If youd like to see and have any ideas let me know). I hiked 10 miles. We finished at about 3. When i got of the trail my phone was dead. (5% left). I was able to end the tracking and that was it. I believe this was do to the gps being on and constantly searching for 3g service. THe actual quality of the gps was great. It was super acurate and worked as well if not better then a normal gps (couse of the maps).

Of anyone has any questions on anything let me know

P.S. I didnt really use any of the other apps i probobly could of

jpetito

Reaction score
you must not be camping in a legit campground...every time I go camping, absolutely no cell phone service. So, I can use apps that don't use the internet, but anything internet related is a no go.

OP
drummerq

drummerq

Reaction score
you must not be camping in a legit campground...every time I go camping, absolutely no cell phone service. So, I can use apps that don't use the internet, but anything internet related is a no go.

See to download the local maps its takes seconds of 3g. If it only gets it in one spot for a few minutes you'll be good for maps the whole trip.

Other things like internet your right, while camping is hard