camera totally useless in dark tell me something new

goldbergs

Reaction score
I tried taking pics in a restuarant with my DROID and the a Blackberry curve 8230. The Blackberry illuminates the scene, then takes the photo. I can see the subject on the screeen and the photo is reasonably good. The DROID takes a BLACK photo even though the twin LEDs illuminute the subject. It is the WORST camera phone I have ever used.

cuskit

Reaction score
Here are two photos (doll in a box) I took in an almost completely dark room. After I pressed the shutter button, I had enough time to see the box on the screen and frame it properly. Probably a second or less, but certainly more than enough time to see what the camera was about to film (for lack of a better word). Actually, the photo looks better than what I saw on the screen. As you press the button, a "prelight" comes on - sort of like you would have with those "red eye" feature cameras. Before this - I'm guessing where to aim as the screen is totally dark as all state here.

Personally, I'm tickled pink with the camera. I've had others before (most recently the Razr) and this camera is far better IMHO.

The other three photos were on a normal, sunny day outside. I think they look rather decent - the way I look at it, I bought a phone, and was given a free camera, a free GPS, a free Internet Browser, etc. etc. :)

cuskit

Attachments

• Doll1.jpg
    Doll1.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 409
  • Doll2.jpg
    Doll2.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 170
  • F150.jpg
    F150.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 170
  • SnowBlower1.jpg
    SnowBlower1.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 151
  • SnowBlower2.jpg
    SnowBlower2.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 147

Sunnyside

Reaction score
I'll chime in here as well. First off, I love the droid. I switched from a HTC Touch Pro 2. The hardware is excellent, windoze mobile was a disaster.

For indoor photos, My wife's blackberry 8900 takes photos that are heads and shoulders better than my droid. Even the TP2 had a more stable, and accurate photo app. I got better indoor shots without a flash than I get from my droid. The "blurry cam" droid shots I get, along with an occasional camera app crash tells me it is more a software problems than hardware.

Cuskit:
You shots are good, I think where folks (myself included) are irked is that if there is _any_ movement, you end up with a blurrycam shot. Also, where the heck do you live to get 2' of snow? Did y'all have a white Christmas?

I haven't had the need to pay for any apps on my droid, however I'd be willing to shell out some bucks if there was a decent camera app. I know you can get point fix apps (speed, gps, etc), however I'd really like to see a good general purpose camera app that can:
A - take indoor shots correctly
B - take pictures faster than the default app
C - integrate a few standard image manipulation options

Cheers!

cuskit

Reaction score
Sunnyside,

Thanks for the compliment on the photos! :)

I live in New Jersey - the weekend before Xmas we were slammed for the first time since '94 with better than two feet of snow. One week later, higher temps and rain had washed it all away (as you can see in the F150 truck picture). Fun while it lasted! ;)

While it's not what you are looking for, you might try FXCamera (Market) for a novel approach to photos. I have used it often and enjoy it. While it won't improve the quality of your picture, it certainly offers a lot of options for displaying your shots. And best of all - it's FREE! :)

cuskit