Camera Performance post-update... depends on app I use

DeltaHotel

Reaction score
Prior to the update, I found the camera performance to be quite poor. It took a couple seconds usually to auto-focus and get a shot. Very frustrating. I purchased CameraZoom FX, which may have been slightly better, but not a huge improvement in my opinion.

So post-update, I found the performance to be much faster with the stock camera app. But now, just following an update to CameraZoom FX, I'm finding that the otherwise much more sophisticated CameraZoom FX app is painfully slow to focus, regardless of the focus setting I use. It takes well in excess of 2 seconds from the time I click a shot until it snaps. Compare this to the stock app, which now focuses quickly (less than quarter of a second, on average). CameraZoom FX seems a bit quicker in good light, but it's still much slower than stock.

Curious if anyone sees a similar pattern.

Droid Bionic v. 5.5.893
Stock Camera app ver. 2.3.4
Camera Zoom FX v. 3.2.1

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm using flash, but the stock camera seemed just a tad slower, but not by much. Not what you're seeing, though.

Mmracing

Reaction score
I have noticed the same thing. After the update the stock camera is not only quicker than CameraZoom FX but it takes better quality pictures. I guess we should have waited for the update before spending the money. Oh well... I don't mind supporting developers.

Reaction score
Lol... I just tried this as soon as I got my update an hour ago.

Results:

Stock: The autofocus to snap picture is amazingly quick. Maybe just a tad bit quicker than zoomfx. But the pictures are not as clear and focused as zoom fx. In Low light it still sucks.

Zoom fx: I will continue to use as this and not the stock camera app. Pictures come out way better. I guess the quicker autofocus on the stock cam app makes it too quick to focus clearly. In low light it is better than stock.

In the end.... Cam zoom fx is an app that pays itself off dearly. Motorola should hire the dev of camzoomfx. Hands down.. .they deserve to be millionaires.

Last edited:
OP
DeltaHotel

DeltaHotel

Reaction score
For me... the stock is now MUCH caster than CameraZoomFX. And quality looks comparable on both.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried it outside and the stock camera was a bit faster off the mark than Camera Zoom FX. Not a whole lot, though, but indeed faster.

OP
DeltaHotel

DeltaHotel

Reaction score
I've noticed that CameraZoom FX's performance is inversely proportional to the lighting. Whereas after the recent update from Motorola, the stock camera is *very* fast regardless.

So indoors, or in less than ideal lighting, CameraZoom FX is much slower. And if lighting is quite dim, then the difference is huge. But as you say, if outdoors or in very good light, CameraZoom FX seems to perform a bit better. It's still not as fast as stock (so maybe 1/4 sec for stock-- nearly instant, to about 1 sec for CameraZoom FX).

I dropped a note to CameraZoom FX support, and they responded that they'll look into it. So who knows... maybe they will. :)

I do like the features of CameraZoom FX quite a lot, but for now I'm forced to revert back to the stock camera as my default. That lag (especially when indoors or lighting is suboptimal) is just too long and very frustrating.