Camera (even after update).... Still crap!

PurpleTwinkie

Reaction score
Wow..... My Bionic's camera just got drove by my wife's iPhone 4 (not 4s).

I can't even believe how much better the photos are that her phone takes compared to mine. I mean the colors don't even compare! It's embarrassing!

Her photos have bright vibrant colors and mine are dull, drab, and grey. So disappointing.

Is there any way to adjust white balance or are there any other settings I'm not aware of? I sure hope so. I'm a total Android fanboy but this hurts.

Thoughts?

Sent from a Phone

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if you didn't say what you did, I would've guessed #1 iPhone, #2 Bionic... but since you said that, flip flop?

OP
P

PurpleTwinkie

Reaction score
I'm guessing the one with the red/orangish tint is the iPhone.

What's your point though? :D

Sent from a Phone

dave52355

Reaction score
My first thought was the top picture is the Bionic because of the higher mp's and sharper detail. But looking closer the bottom colors look slightly muted not as bright. So I'll go with the bottom being the Bionic. Personally for a phone either picture is acceptable, if I need better I'll grab my trusty Nikon.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Just messed with the camera after doing the update. I does seem to focus better but I do not notice any real measurable picture quality improvement. That was with the standard camera app. I use Camera Zoom FX, so I'll need to go see what has changed/improved there. I fairness, later on, I may take a number of photos in different lighting conditions etc. I don't really have a huge beef with the camera, it's a phone camera. If I want a high quality photo, will use my Canon T3i :biggrin:

I would also be quick to add that most of the other fixes seem to have worked and the phone seems more responsive. I just noticed a change from 3g to 4g and the phone did not hick-up. My initial observations are that the ota is overall, a success. Sure they will keep working on fixes and we'll see more great stuff in ICS. Put me in the I'm happy with my Bionic column (although I refuse the right to change my mind if the bottom falls out ;-)

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Wow..... My Bionic's camera just got drove by my wife's iPhone 4 (not 4s).

I can't even believe how much better the photos are that her phone takes compared to mine. I mean the colors don't even compare! It's embarrassing!

Her photos have bright vibrant colors and mine are dull, drab, and grey. So disappointing.

Is there any way to adjust white balance or are there any other settings I'm not aware of? I sure hope so. I'm a total Android fanboy but this hurts.

Thoughts?

Sent from a Phone

The Bionic camera is horrendous even after the update. The shutter speed has been increased significantly, but it still takes terrible pictures. The iphone4s camera is arguably the best camera on any smartphone.

It is what it is.

OP
P

PurpleTwinkie

Reaction score
Just messed with the camera after doing the update. I does seem to focus better but I do not notice any real measurable picture quality improvement. That was with the standard camera app. I use Camera Zoom FX, so I'll need to go see what has changed/improved there. I fairness, later on, I may take a number of photos in different lighting conditions etc. I don't really have a huge beef with the camera, it's a phone camera. If I want a high quality photo, will use my Canon T3i :biggrin:

I would also be quick to add that most of the other fixes seem to have worked and the phone seems more responsive. I just noticed a change from 3g to 4g and the phone did not hick-up. My initial observations are that the ota is overall, a success. Sure they will keep working on fixes and we'll see more great stuff in ICS. Put me in the I'm happy with my Bionic column (although I refuse the right to change my mind if the bottom falls out ;-)

I hear ya. I do notice improvements since the update but I'm specifically referring to color. The iphone's camera produces brilliant, natural colors, where the Bionic's delivers grey, drab, dead images. I'm hoping the paid version of Camera Zoom FX helps with this so we'll see.

Sent from a Phone

BeerManMike

Reaction score
I hear ya. I do notice improvements since the update but I'm specifically referring to color. The iphone's camera produces brilliant, natural colors, where the Bionic's delivers grey, drab, dead images. I'm hoping the paid version of Camera Zoom FX helps with this so we'll see.

Sent from a Phone

Using the camera for work (Serial codes, etc..) i can say the images appear kinda low quality and blurred out on the phone, but when moved to the computer mine always come out sharp, crisp and vibrant. Using the stock camera and Vignette.

82DMC12

Reaction score
Are you only viewing the pics on the phone screen? If so, unfair test. Check them out on your computer or television. The colors are awesome, very sharp and brilliant. This fall I spent two weeks in europe and took about 1000 pics. I'm constantly amazed how great they look on a real screen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dbord

Reaction score
Camera

I bought my Bionic for the phone and data, the camera is just there and I hardly use it. If I want high quality photos I use my Canon XTI....

OP
P

PurpleTwinkie

Reaction score
I bought my Bionic for the phone and data, the camera is just there and I hardly use it. If I want high quality photos I use my Canon XTI....

Yeah, yeah, yeah....... There's already been a comment like that. We get it. I have a $3000 Nikon DSLR too. That's not the point and irrelevant. ;) I still expect something from the camera on my high end smartphone.

I feel kinda stupid now though, thanks to the brilliant comment about viewing the images on a normal screen/monitor or printing them. Duh...! Thanks for the insight! I'm a little slow... It seems. :D

Sent from a Phone

jcardona1

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah....... There's already been a comment like that. We get it. I have a $3000 Nikon DSLR too. That's not the point and irrelevant. ;) I still expect something from the camera on my high end smartphone.

I feel kinda stupid now though, thanks to the brilliant comment about viewing the images on a normal screen/monitor or printing them. Duh...! Thanks for the insight! I'm a little slow... It seems. :D

Sent from a Phone

LOL seriously. I have a Nikon D90 and about $4k in lenses. That doesn't mean I don't want or expect a smart phone in this day and age to take decent photos. As for the crappy camera on this phone, it's just a Motorola thing. I think people in general just associate Motorola with horrible cameras, and that won't ever change. Check out the Rezound's camera. And Samsung. Seems like every cell phone manufacturer can build a decent camera except for Motorola. I don't get it.

don_droid

Reaction score
Maybe Moto just buys the cheapest module with the one selling point they can find. So if they want 8MP than buy cheapest. I know Apple specs all of the parts for the camera module, even the glue used to hold the module together. Of course you have to spec good parts in the first place, but they are involved at each step. That could lead to better quality modules, but they will be very slow to adopt new tech since they do not use others to develop new tech.

One thing interesting is that if I change software and use HDR camera or others have used other software we get better pictures. So I assume that the hardware is not the main issue, but software is the main problem.

Last edited: