Fixing the crappy pictures (Gizmodo samples images)

jcardona1

Reaction score
So after seeing Gizmodo's sample pictures from the Galaxy Nexus, I can't say I was disappointed, but I was a little surprised to see how bad the pictures looked against comparable phones in the market. They weren't bad, but they lacked that "punch" that people like to see in photos (and I'm not talking about over saturation either). First thing that jumped out to me was that white balance was too cool in most Nexus photos, saturation and contrast were on the low side, and sharpness was a little hazy.

So I looked at the exif data of the grocery store photo, here's the details: Jeffrey's Exif viewer

You can see that the white balance was calculated by the camera to be Tungsten/Incandescent. That is simply WRONG, that's why the pic look blue/cool overall. Grocery stores typically have fluorescent lighting, not tungsten/incandescent. Even the photo from the GSII looks too cool. The Rezound and the iPhone seemed to get the white balance right.

Also looking at the exif data, you can see that Saturation, Contrast, and Sharpness were all set to Normal. I feel pretty confident that if we crank these up in the camera's settings we'll get some pretty good pics. White balance unfortunately won't be that easy, I'm afraid. You may have to rely on post-editing to get the white balance just right. I use PicSay Pro for white balance edits since it gives you nice control over Temperature and Tint, both of which comprise the white balance. My expensive DSLR setup doesn't always get the white balance right either. White Balance is a huge deal in photography and one of the most important parameters of a photo. And it's no secret that even the best cameras get white balance wrong, so I'm not really worried here.

I was mainly concerned with the lack of contrast/saturation/sharpness that was evident in Gizmodo's photos, but I think that can be easily fixed in the settings. In fact, I took the Nexus photo and tweaked a few levels in Photoshop's Camera RAW editor. I made some white balance, contrast, brightness, clarity, and sharpness tweaks. The final image looks much better than the SGII photo (because of the white balance) and even looks as good as the iPhone pic IMO.

So what do you guys think? If this is a software issue, how do we go about getting this fixed? Or do you just deal with having to fiddle with the camera settings and fix a few things afterwards in post-editing? Overall, I'm not worried about the camera. I'm sure it will be fine.

Here's the pictures again, including the one I edited.

Nexus original
6443293251_9d3117ea3c_b.jpg

Nexus, edited
6467204655_0ed4453320_b.jpg

GSII
6443291603_ef8ab1f443_b.jpg

iPhone 4S
6443286581_df7d855ec0_b.jpg

Rezound
6443284119_e6bc3ea9b5_b.jpg

Last edited:

1quickv6

Reaction score
Outstanding post. Thank you for taking the time to research it instead of just sitting back and complaining. dancedroid

Anything is better than my OG Droids camera so it will still be a win for me, all things considered.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I agree, we can only go up from the D1 camera so it will be an improvement, the RAZR's camera is just as crappy as the D1 so the nexus could't be worse running ICS..

coverton341

Reaction score
TBH, I didn't think the original photo was bad at all. Then again, I am also coming from the D1 like the other posters. Anyway, can't wait for this thing to final release.

bmkdroid

Reaction score
I wasn't really that worried about the camera. Like a lot of people, I don't do much more with the pictures I take on my phone other than message them to friends or upload to Facebook, so I'm not in need of great quality.

Regardless, I think maybe it is just some setting issues judging from your edits which look great and completely on par with the other camera's shots. I hate to say it, but I think what I read quite often is right, if it is so important to someone to take good, high quality, large res photos, get an actual camera.

darkmatter

Reaction score
I wasn't really that worried about the camera. Like a lot of people, I don't do much more with the pictures I take on my phone other than message them to friends or upload to Facebook, so I'm not in need of great quality.

Regardless, I think maybe it is just some setting issues judging from your edits which look great and completely on par with the other camera's shots. I hate to say it, but I think what I read quite often is right, if it is so important to someone to take good, high quality, large res photos, get an actual camera.

So much this. While I'm generally happy with my d3 pics (especially when using HDR+), when I want decent pics without lugging around my dslr I use my Canon S95.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I definitely think it's great after the editing!
And don't forget that that is with instant shutter. And it was pretty good to begin with! :)

Swyped and sent through the interwebz directly to you from somewhere and some device that doesn't concern you!

EAK

Reaction score
looks to me more of a focus issue, probably cause of the instant shutter.

bmkdroid

Reaction score
Oh, and by the way jcardona1, once I get my nexus I'll be sending you all of my substandard pics for you to fix up for me! :icon_ banana:
(As I don't know anything about photo editing)