Calibration App Anywhere?

palpacino

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My screen is likely shot to pieces. But I wanted to ask. Is there an app out there that just runs full screen and puts a little dot on the screen where it is being "touched" and maybe that little dot fades away after a few seconds?

The reason being is that my touch screen has just started ghosting and acting nutty. It will touch somewhere when I am not even touching it. I can only see the tiniest of a little mark on the screen when held into the light. Perhaps that one scratch was just enough to ruin it, I dunno.

I can get into it about 30% of the time but I have to watch everything it is doing and hit the home key often. I had to remove all my icons on my home screen so it didn't press them and call people, lol.

Any suggestions for an app like this? I don't know much it would really help me even if I did know where the spots are that it likes to "touch" automatically, but maybe it would.

Thanks for any feedback.

Reaction score
try turning your phone off and back on and see if its still acting weird

but more then likely you prob installed a faulty app that is causing the problem. delete any apps you installed over the past few days and see if that fixes it

dylanthecat

Reaction score
There are a number of "draw" type programs that put lines and points where you touch. Not sure if this would help you or not.

OP
P

palpacino

Reaction score
I completely forgot to mention what I have been doing to troubleshoot the past 24 hrs.

When it first started yesterday, it wasn't horrible. Its very alarming at how quickly things deteriorated.

I was able to get into it at first and kill all the apps (even though I am a minimalist and have less than 10). It still did it.

I then said to heck with it and just did a factory reset on it. It came up and immediately started doing the same stuff. I was able to slowly navigate through handscent's menus and try to re-setup everything in there (what a chore, love that app though).

Then, late last night and all day today its just been almost unusable. At this point I see nothing wrong with uninstalling everything so I will give that a shot.

I will also try a drawing app as dylanthecat suggested as that is a dang good idea. duh!

brb. :)

OP
P

palpacino

Reaction score
Well guys,

I have uninstalled just about everything... and for sure have uninstalled everything that was installed recently and as far back as a few months. I have done all the rebooting and battery reseating that I could think of.

I took dylanthecat's advice and downloaded "Draw and Share" which is just a simple little line drawing paint app. I put it on the thinest line setting I could then I began a 15 min little exercise of scribbling ALLLLL over the screen at random like a 3 year old.

The outcome does not look good. Below is a pic of what happened. :(

spzPW.jpg

I edited the phone stuff around it to orient you as to what it looks like.

The "BACK" (circle-arrow) button does not work anymore either. That's the real killer. Some apps when you use the MENU button want you to use the circle-arrow to get back to the main screen.

This phone's touch looks shot to hell down the little left side of the screen.

I am a heavy texter and I always have used my QWERTY pull out keyboard. Its more loose now than it used to be. Something tells me the little ribbon in there might be a piece of junk. Anymore takers on this one?

Anyone have any advice for me since I never got the warranty? If I bought this mid-November would Motorola still have a warranty?

Thanks for reading, everyone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
my only other suggestion would be is to flash the phone with a stock sbf file to see if its just a problem with a system file

if not then yes some connection on your hardware seems to be misreading

OP
P

palpacino

Reaction score
I could google around, but ultimately I would not be certain if I found what you are suggesting precisely because there are lots of rooting links..

Could I trouble you to link me to a post or blog that does exactly just that as far as "flash the phone with a stock sbf file" ?

<=)

enkryptik

Reaction score
looks to me like defective hardware. Just had mine replaced due to the fact that the middle of screen had half inch strip from top to bottom that would not register at all 80% of the time. Think it had to do with humidity honestly. My advice is to download multitouch visible test and see results and if really screwed, have your phone replaced. Technically everyone's droid should still be under the 1 year manufacturer warranty.
If rooted, undo all that and take to vzw and tell them the problem. Should have no problems.

OP
P

palpacino

Reaction score
I ended up taking it to the Verizon store and this cute gal took my info and they are sending me a new one (possibly a Droid2) for free. Pretty good stuff! Since most of the settings exist in a cloud, then I am good.

Anyone know of a way to backup handscent settings for the future? Is that just in a handscent folder on the card? It doesn't seem like it is since the settings were not there for handscent after a flash to factory settings...