Bypass Factory Reset Protection On Samsung Phones Without A PC.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Samsung devices require you to sign in with your Google account if you factory reset your phone. This is kind of ridiculous. It makes it a pain in the rear to resell your phone. Normally to sell your phone all you need to do is factory reset it. If you factory reset a new Samsung phone and then sell it the person who buys it from you won't be able to get into it without your Google account information.

There is a way to bypass this. Rootjunky has put together a full guide showing you how to hack around this. This method works without a PC or an OTG flash drive. Just know that the method is pretty complicated. It requires you to log in to your wifi, unplug your router while your phone is checking for an update, reboot the phone, set a pattern lock, reboot the phone, access the camera, go to modes, access the download folder, install and use es file explorer to access rootjunky's download server, download an app, and run it! As I said earlier the method is pretty pain staking, but the outcome is oh so worth it! Check out the full video for the full proof method.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This must be something relatively new. I FDR'd my S1 & S3 before donating them & was able to "skip" the login process. I haven't done an FDR on my S5 for over a year, so IDK. Stupid move Sammy! Thanks for the info DMX!
LOL Lee!

S5 tap'n

boidsonly

Reaction score
Woudn't removing your google account (assuming you knew it) prior to FDR accomplish the same thing? Or am I mistaken?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I thought that was an option in the settings on my Note 4, to require your login after a reset. Along with that setting, I feel like there was an option to disable it. But I may be thinking of the "Wipe phone after X number of invalid unlock attempts" option instead. I feel like they were in the same area in settings though.

If no one else can confirm this, I'll have to check when the wife gets home from work since she's rocking the Note these days.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Boidsonly yes, removing your google account is the way to remove this security feature and also when you want to do a FDR to sell the phone you should remove your google account prior to selling it or the person buying it will not be able to get into the phone. The information on this feature can be found here: Make sure your device is protected - Nexus Help

"To turn off device protection, remove your Google account from your device. If you have Developer options enabled on your device, you can also go to Settings
45AE68F84558357DEFC538478E4E36F4BE37
> Developer options and check "OEM Unlocking.""

I thought that was an option in the settings on my Note 4, to require your login after a reset. Along with that setting, I feel like there was an option to disable it. But I may be thinking of the "Wipe phone after X number of invalid unlock attempts" option instead. I feel like they were in the same area in settings though.

If no one else can confirm this, I'll have to check when the wife gets home from work since she's rocking the Note these days.

In my note 3, there was an option for findmymobile by samsung in the security settings. It had something called a "Reactivation Lock" which would require you to put in your Samsung Account to bypass the lock.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
In my note 3, there was an option for findmymobile by samsung in the security settings. It had something called a "Reactivation Lock" which would require you to put in your Samsung Account to bypass the lock.
Yeah, that might be what I'm thinking of on the Note 4.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This is now a security feature on all Android phones 5.1 and above...when a factory reset (fdr) is done without first removing the owner's google account info, that device is locked to the google account owner. To activate/set up that phone, you must first sign in with the google account and password that is attached to that phone.

If you are selling the phone or if the phone is going to be used by another person, it is not enough to just do an fdr. You first have to remove your google account then do the fdr. The purpose of this feature is so that anyone stealing your phone will not be able to use it without your sign in info. It almost makes stealing phones useless.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is now a security feature on all Android phones 5.1 and above...when a factory reset (fdr) is done without first removing the owner's google account info, that device is locked to the google account owner. To activate/set up that phone, you must first sign in with the google account and password that is attached to that phone.

If you are selling the phone or if the phone is going to be used by another person, it is not enough to just do an fdr. You first have to remove your google account then do the fdr. The purpose of this feature is so that anyone stealing your phone will not be able to use it without your sign in info. It almost makes stealing phones useless.

Unfortunately I know many people who don't have a lock screen so it would make stealing the phone just the same as before as it takes someone with little to no knowledge to go in and remove the account or set the OEM Unlocking to "on". This is why I always stress to add a lock-screen no matter how simple it is for the user to access.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Psh I hate lock screen patterns. Will never use one. I pull my phone out and unlock it far to often to be annoyed by that extra couple seconds. I absolutely despise when a VPN or FoxFi makes you set one up.

Reactions: cr6

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Psh I hate lock screen patterns. Will never use one. I pull my phone out and unlock it far to often to be annoyed by that extra couple seconds. I absolutely despise when a VPN or FoxFi makes you set one up.
I was in the same camp. Never used a lock pattern and never needed to. But now with fingerprint unlock on my N5, unlocking is actually faster and easier than swiping.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't use one either, unless I'm traveling. They can't call international so if they make a phone call that's ok. My PayPal account is locked down just as anything else is money related on my device. I also have "find my phone" activated via both Lookout & Google, with the ability to remotely wipe my device, give me GPS location & take a photo of the person who has my device. I will also be notified if my SIM card is removed.
With all that, there's no real need for a daily lockscreen imo.

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Correct me if I am wrong on this: this new feature applies to phones that were shipped with 5.1, like Nexus phones. For phones that came with KitKat and then upgraded to 5.0 or 5.1, you can still do a FDR without removing your Google account and sell the phone....as long as you don't change your Google password within 72 hours of the FDR? I did a FDR on my Turbo without removing my Google account (forgot about that), sold it, and received positive feedback from the buyer. I assume they were able to activate it. For phones that upgraded to Lollipop I think the FDR / Google password change at the same time activates the new security feature where the new owner (or thief) can't activate the phone? For newer phones with 5.1 out of the box, we have to remove the Google account before the FDR?

Joeason

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sm-g900v

Stealing is a 0% overhead venture and parts are where it's at with phones . just like with cars, people will chop them up to make a buck. I certanly don't condone such ignorant behavior , however I also don't condone the use of "security " to cause honest people to give up and buy newer, shittier phone while causing phones to be parted out by those who don't give a **** about the law. iphone has "the best security " currently available . Yet they are stolen constantly and the parts are the cheapest. ( not to mention that they suck dick! ((in not a good way))

chrismsavage

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung galaxy j7 sm-j700t
worked all the way up to going into the camera, sm-j700t doesn't show the camera on the lockscreen, no option for it either