Buying apps

philnolan3d

Reaction score
Another new user question. I've downloaded some free apps and that's fine, but I would like to buy Beautiful Widgets so in the Market I click the Buy button and it says Add a Google Account. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything but I continue on hit the Sign In button, fill in my info, and continue. It communicates with the server for a while... Then says I don't have a network connection. Which makes no sense since I have a full 4 bars of WIFI (I'm sitting right next to the router) plus a good 3G signal.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I added my credit card in my google account from my computer. Try that and it should work :D

OP
P

philnolan3d

Reaction score
OK it seemed I already had that set up from something I bought like 4 years ago. lol So I updated the CC info and this time the market connected.

Now it took me back to the app page in the market so I clicked the Buy button and got the same "add an account" screen.

This was actually the original reason for me posting but I couldn't describe it in detail when I posted because it wasn't connecting.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK it seemed I already had that set up from something I bought like 4 years ago. lol So I updated the CC info and this time the market connected.

Now it took me back to the app page in the market so I clicked the Buy button and got the same "add an account" screen.

It recognized my screen right away. Try adding the same account and see what it does. Maybe it's because you CC has expired since then?

I didn't know which CC of mine it had so I changed it to one I knew was current.

OP
P

philnolan3d

Reaction score
Well my only options are sign in or create account. I deleted the old credit card, so now there's only one and it's the good one. Tried it again and the same thing, it just keeps asking me to sign in or create an account.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well my only options are sign in or create account. I deleted the old credit card, so now there's only one and it's the good one. Tried it again and the same thing, it just keeps asking me to sign in or create an account.

Sign in to your Google Account. That's what it wants.

OP
P

philnolan3d

Reaction score
Huh, I just noticed if you click to create an account the email part has "@gmail.com" already filled in for you, but I don't use a GMail address, even though it's a GMail account. So I wonder if you need an @GMail.com address to buy things in the Market?

Sign in to your Google Account. That's what it wants.

That's what I've been doing. it asks me what I'd like to sync with my account, I tell it, then it goes back to the market and we start all over. I wish I could post screenshots.

Last edited:

ndhill1976

Reaction score
I had a problem that I was using a google account that was not actually a gmail account. Once I set up an actual gmail account, it worked.

Is your account a gmail account?

OP
P

philnolan3d

Reaction score
It sure is, here's a screenshot:

2010-08-26_0733.png

Well technically now that I think of it, it's a Google Apps account, which includes GMail.

Last edited:

ndhill1976

Reaction score
That is your problem. I was using an account similar to yours; I could log in to it through google, but it did not end in "gmail.com"

OP
P

philnolan3d

Reaction score
Spent like 45 mins today at the Verizon store getting this problem fixed and the only way they could do it was resetting my phone. So I lost all of my apps, my home screen settings, and some other stuff. but at least I could get into the payment area so I could make purchases.

I bought Beautiful Widgets and it kept declining my card even though I have plenty in the account. Eventually the market says the app is purchased but every time I try to install it says "Download unsuccessful". What a pain this has been. Any ideas now?

Edit: Now it's worse I thought maybe the purchase didn't go through even though it says it did, so I refunded it and purchased again. Same thing, except now I can't hit refund any more.

Last edited: