Buying a Droid online-Not VZW though

andydg

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I'm new here and I've been looking into getting a Droid since I first heard about it back in Oct. I have a couple questions about upgrading to the Droid from my Curve (also through VZW).

I'm on a family plan, I'm not the primary phone, due for an upgrade in Apr but I could get it in March when the primary's upgrade is due. I found a couple sites like Amazon and Sears are selling the Droid for $50 as an upgrade and I'm wondering how that works when you buy it online? Do I need to wait for my official upgrade date that VZW says? I'm just a little confused because it seems too easy through Amazon...I went through most of the ordering process and its not asking me about any VZW account info or anything (at least not yet...). I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Gremlin

Reaction score
Yes you need to wait for your upgrade date.. I had to wait for mine..

Smitty258

Reaction score
Do these work for secondary lines on a family plan? I just checked out Wirefly last night ($100 Bing cash back) and they said it HAD to be the primary line. I'm the secondary line on my family plan and am due for upgrade. Can I upgrade a secondary line on Amazon?

EDIT TO ADD: Answered my own question and got my Droid on the way!!! $50 secondary line upgrade through Amazon wireless! I'm so freakin psyched!

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I went through most of the ordering process and its not asking me about any VZW account info or anything (at least not yet...).
There should be an upgrade option for resellers that support upgrading. You can't upgrade before you're eligible. The reseller can only get the subsidy from the carrier if you qualify.

As I say in every reseller thread -- make sure you read and fully understand their fine print.

Do these work for secondary lines on a family plan?
Depends on the reseller.

Last edited:
OP
A

andydg

Reaction score
I went through most of the ordering process and its not asking me about any VZW account info or anything (at least not yet...).
There should be an upgrade option for resellers that support upgrading. You can't upgrade before you're eligible. The reseller can only get the subsidy from the carrier if you qualify.

As I say in every reseller thread -- make sure you read and fully understand their fine print.

Do these work for secondary lines on a family plan?

Depends on the reseller.

Thanks, sounds like I should just get it through VZW then when I'm due for my upgrade. I know what to expect from the clowns in the stores there.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily but if you don't want to deal with the reseller's terms then it's definitely worth just going directly to Verizon.