Buy Droid X now, or wait?

bL33d

Reaction score
I went ahead and upgraded to a droid x. I had a droid a droid eris and a galaxy s fascinate.
And I def like this droid x the best. I have the no throttle hack and get 2meg download speeds so im good without lte.

Jug the Thug

Reaction score
Get what you want. Hopefully Android. I think it's so much better. But it's all personal opinion. I'd upgrade ASAP, before they change the contract rules. Take out a one year contract, and then when a lot more dual cores are out, you can find a nice one to pick up. In my opinion, nothing special is coming to Verizon for a while. The iPhone is great, but it's just locked down and you can't do any personalization to make it yours. I feel like it is a phone for people that want a smart phone but want basic features. I can't even use my iTouch after getting my X (and having my previous Eris). My X does everything and more. Sure the bootloader is locked, but someone is working on unlocking it through bootup and they're actually making process on it.

Just my 2 cents. Upgrade now with a one year contract before they are non existant, and then you can get a better phone when they are out.

Couldnt agree more i sold my itouch. It seems like simple people are the ones with apple products and people that ACTUALLY understand computers stick with pc. Sure apple makes a good product but very overpriced android phones in my opinion do everything a iphone can do and more. You may think what i am saying is bias but my sister has a macbook and i have my own hp ill always take the pc over the simplistic mac. Same with phones i couldnt be more happy with my droid x its hands down the best. The rumours the forum starter really are hearing are from people that have toyed around with the X in verizon. The reps admit those phones are so worn out...froyo was a huge improvement, i have never used a task killer and still never experience lag. Like the others said shoot for a one year on the X i have never been disappointed i just cant understand why people would still ask more out of such small devices. Probably after a year of 4glte the phones wont be so much of bricks. You should be satisfied with the X only if you want to download masses or stream movies go 4G LTE.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Get what you want. Hopefully Android. I think it's so much better. But it's all personal opinion. I'd upgrade ASAP, before they change the contract rules. Take out a one year contract, and then when a lot more dual cores are out, you can find a nice one to pick up. In my opinion, nothing special is coming to Verizon for a while. The iPhone is great, but it's just locked down and you can't do any personalization to make it yours. I feel like it is a phone for people that want a smart phone but want basic features. I can't even use my iTouch after getting my X (and having my previous Eris). My X does everything and more. Sure the bootloader is locked, but someone is working on unlocking it through bootup and they're actually making process on it.

Just my 2 cents. Upgrade now with a one year contract before they are non existant, and then you can get a better phone when they are out.

Couldnt agree more i sold my itouch. It seems like simple people are the ones with apple products and people that ACTUALLY understand computers stick with pc. Sure apple makes a good product but very overpriced android phones in my opinion do everything a iphone can do and more. You may think what i am saying is bias but my sister has a macbook and i have my own hp ill always take the pc over the simplistic mac. Same with phones i couldnt be more happy with my droid x its hands down the best. The rumours the forum starter really are hearing are from people that have toyed around with the X in verizon. The reps admit those phones are so worn out...froyo was a huge improvement, i have never used a task killer and still never experience lag. Like the others said shoot for a one year on the X i have never been disappointed i just cant understand why people would still ask more out of such small devices. Probably after a year of 4glte the phones wont be so much of bricks. You should be satisfied with the X only if you want to download masses or stream movies go 4G LTE.

See, this would all be fine and dandy, waiting for LTE, but if you do that:

1.) You get one of the first 4g phones --There will be more coming out. Which sucks because...
2.) You get a two year contract
3.) Old technology, same as X, just a 4g radio.
4.) Finally, no one knows what the 4g plans will be. If you get 3g today, you get unlimited. 10x the speed and only 5gb of data (estimate) I would shred through that.

Seriously, if I were you, 1 year contract, X or Incredible, Unlimited Data.

str0ntium

Reaction score

See, this would all be fine and dandy, waiting for LTE, but if you do that:

1.) You get one of the first 4g phones --There will be more coming out. Which sucks because...
2.) You get a two year contract
3.) Old technology, same as X, just a 4g radio.
4.) Finally, no one knows what the 4g plans will be. If you get 3g today, you get unlimited. 10x the speed and only 5gb of data (estimate) I would shred through that.

Seriously, if I were you, 1 year contract, X or Incredible, Unlimited Data.

I would skip the Incredible and go for the Thunderbolt. If you don't want the Bionic, the Thunderbolt is the next best choice over the X. The Thunderbolt, IMO, is what the X should've been. I love my X. But, I do not love the 3G/1X dance... I could do without the bulk of the camera, too. Oh, and since I've got a capacitive stylus now I don't much care for the physical home buttons.

All opinions.

Cloud36426

Reaction score
I did not understand the changes as no more 1 year contracts just have to wait longer on a 2 year contract before upgrade. I thought you could still sign a 1 year contract.

leonozug

Reaction score
I would wait. When the Bionic comes out, you will be kicking yourself. I have been patiently waiting since this past September(when I became eligible for my upgrade)and I even went into a Verizon store to buy one last summer...they were out of stock, but I took that as a sign to just wait, cause something much better will come out. And the Bionic is pretty much the successor to the X, so why buy last years model when the new one is on the horizon? Time flies man, the Bionic will be here before you know it.

piquat

Reaction score
Had I waited...

The flip side if I had waited is getting a new phone that's new to the community. That means waiting for all the roots/ROMS/hacks/cool apps.

Instead, I'll be able to play with that stuff right off and juuuuuust about the time the community matures for the new gen of phones... my 1 year contract is up.:)

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Only for like another week or so can you sign a one year. I think the 16th is the last day.

Which is what I would do.

Sent from my DROIDX