Buy Droid X now, or wait?

LinxuSx

Reaction score
Well, I'm officially sick of my Tour 9630 from blackberry... tried many different OS's on it and its still slow, horrible for internet, and my upgrade just became available.

If you guys were in my shoes, and now that we've seen all the phones they announced at CES would you buy now or wait?

Waiting until Q2 or possible Q3 seems like an extremely long time, and from what I've seen the Bionic does not seem a whole lot better than the Droid X. But then again I have a friend that just bought the Droid Pro, loves it and claims that the X is slow and kept freezing when he was messing around with it.

Do ya'll have any gripes with your current X? Would you have gone with a different model? Wait?

If this has been covered, I sincerely apologize, and if you could direct me to that thread I'd appreciate it :)

EDIT: found this thread
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/114136-droid-bionic-droid-x.html

Last edited:

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Im happy with my x. Very fast with no lag and it has a huge screen. It has all the high end stuff 1ghz processor 512 ram 4.3 inch screen and 8mp camera. Only thing missing is 4g lte and the nvidia processor which is better for gaming ect. I already get excellent speeds on my x. Nytimes loads in about 6 secs. Don't know if it can get any faster.

Its your choice. The bionic and others wont be out until after march

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Beka27

Reaction score
I love my X. But it's already expected to be at its EOL in March. Unless you really don't care about 4G or Dual Cores, etc... it's a bit late in the game to get an existing device, IMO. If you can figure out which new phone you want, you can be in line on launch day and have the most cutting edge device.

If you get an X or other existing phone, try for a one-year contract.

the5barrons

Reaction score
I'm very satisfied with my x. Hate to think that in a few months it'll be basically obsolete. Maybe I'm lucky but I really haven't many issues like you hear about. All I can recommend is that if you try the x you shouldn't afraid to get it into a root and rom of some sort. It really brings the experience of having total control over the phone to light.

Should you wait though? I guess that really depends if you're willing to hold off and if you have your heart set on one of the new chassis available in a couple months...or something in stores now.

"what evrrrrr"

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The X is a fine device. Does everything I need it to do and more. If 4G isn't a big deal. Nor is having a fancy new dual core device, or FFC then I say go for the X. The Incredible is a great device too but the battery life leaves alot to be desired. And the screen is too small after having a 4.3".

CxUNG

Reaction score

Cloud36426

Reaction score
Love my x. Rooted running gummy jar 2.5. Depends on pricing for lte and if you will be getting it soon. Personally I know I am not going to have lte coverage for at least another year where I live, if verizon charges a higher price just to have the phone due to lte capabilities I would sign a1 year contract for the dx and next year when lte is available upgrade to the next gwen dual core phones. Just my 2 cents.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

scottac

Reaction score
I do enjoy the X. My favorite android device to date. And I have owned a few.

Drawbacks:
-Locked bootloader. Yes we can install custom roms. But I want cyanogen and last time I researched it there weren't plans to port it to the X because of the locked bootloader.
-No trackball or optical trackball. Inserting text is a pain without a trackball.
-Motoblur. It really slows the phone down. However if you are gonna root this is irrelevant cause their age some snappy custom ROMS now.
-No LTE. But who cares. My next device won't be an LTE phone it will be an LTE tablet.

I say if you are gonna root go for it. Cause there is a great community that will continue to mod this thing even after verizon and motorola stop updating to newer versions of android.

Dsmith

Reaction score
I'm very satisfied with my x. Hate to think that in a few months it'll be basically obsolete. Maybe I'm lucky but I really haven't many issues like you hear about. All I can recommend is that if you try the x you shouldn't afraid to get it into a root and rom of some sort. It really brings the experience of having total control over the phone to light.

Should you wait though? I guess that really depends if you're willing to hold off and if you have your heart set on one of the new chassis available in a couple months...or something in stores now.

"what evrrrrr"

what do you mean by basically obsolete?

Mont

Reaction score

Man that sucks wonder why they doing that.

If your not salivating for 4G I would get a new phone ASAP with the 1 year and let the calender start winding down as soon as possible so when your contract is up either the phone you had wanted bugs be worked out or of course there will be a new phone to replace the new phone you "thought" you wanted in the first place.

Cell phones is a no win situation but we still play anyway

The Incredible is a great device too but the battery life leaves alot to be desired. And the screen is too small after having a 4.3".

Yeah I remember looking at my neighbors EVO screen thinking "thats a hugh screen" now since I got my X it had shrunk

To your other question im not regretting getting the X, its been a month and I still haven't put it down for a long periods of time. The bad news about no more 1 year ugrade don't seem "as" bad with this phone "for now"

But still I cant see waiting an entire 2 years, hopefully there will be some used phones at a good price when im ready for a new one

hanzie

Reaction score
I love my droid x but id wait if i were you, the iphone is just around the corner

scottac

Reaction score
I love my droid x but id wait if i were you, the iphone is just around the corner

Don't listen to this. The iphone is a good piece of hardware. Don't get me wrong. There really just aren't any advantages over android.

Bad advice. Get an android phone.

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Get what you want. Hopefully Android. I think it's so much better. But it's all personal opinion. I'd upgrade ASAP, before they change the contract rules. Take out a one year contract, and then when a lot more dual cores are out, you can find a nice one to pick up. In my opinion, nothing special is coming to Verizon for a while. The iPhone is great, but it's just locked down and you can't do any personalization to make it yours. I feel like it is a phone for people that want a smart phone but want basic features. I can't even use my iTouch after getting my X (and having my previous Eris). My X does everything and more. Sure the bootloader is locked, but someone is working on unlocking it through bootup and they're actually making process on it.

Just my 2 cents. Upgrade now with a one year contract before they are non existant, and then you can get a better phone when they are out.