browser

Jason R

Reaction score
Can the browser in 4.0 be changed to display in desktop?

jesusishere

Reaction score
Can the browser in 4.0 be changed to display in desktop?

Yes and no. The browser that comes with Maverick is the stock google browser for 2.3.4. The best way about getting a desktop browser is to use another browser. Dolphin and Opera are two decent ones. If you insist on using the stock browser one method is the following:

1. Start the browser
2. In the url bar at the top (where you put the search's/website names) type exactly the following: about:debug
3. Press the settings button
4. Go to settings
5. Scroll down until you see "UA String"
6. Change it to desktop mode.

rumblee1

Reaction score
Is the stock browser on the note 2 chrome? Any of you tried another browser?

pool_shark

Reaction score
Google has also been known for spying, you shouldn't be using an android device if you're so very concerned.
All 3rd party keyboards say they can collect keystrokes.

But thanks for the tip.

nakedbrowser

Reaction score
Google has also been known for spying, you shouldn't be using an android device if you're so very concerned.
All 3rd party keyboards say they can collect keystrokes.

But thanks for the tip.

Google is a large, well-established, public company that has strong incentives not to pull crap like uploading your every URL to their servers in China. Dolphin was so incompetent as to forward each URL in plain text, even https URLs. https URLs should always be transmitted with encryption as they can contain sensitive information like user names and passwords. Most Android browsers are garbage because they do some kind of monitoring. If you don't mind the privacy violation then what about the wasted battery power, bandwidth, and CPU cycles? If you don't care about any of this then have fun, but I think it's important and other people should know the truth.

All keyboards can access keystrokes but unless they have the internet privilege, how would they ever access the data? Personally, I don't use keyboards that require the internet privilege because there's no need for it.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I never saw any cpu cycles being used by Dolphin outside of my known usage.
I was checking for things like that a while back when I was trying to diagnose rapid battery drain overnight.
The cause was wakelocks by maps.

I have been using Dolphin for years and have never had any issues. No passwords hacked, no spam, nothing, and I use my phone more than I use my laptop.

nakedbrowser

Reaction score
I never saw any cpu cycles being used by Dolphin outside of my known usage.
I was checking for things like that a while back when I was trying to diagnose rapid battery drain overnight.
The cause was wakelocks by maps.

I have been using Dolphin for years and have never had any issues. No passwords hacked, no spam, nothing, and I use my phone more than I use my laptop.

How did you know which CPU cycles were for monitoring/spying? Your finding contradicts what has been found over and over again by others.

I'm not saying that they're hacking your passwords or spamming you. They're gathering information about you along with your actual identity and they're probably selling it. Besides the privacy violation, this is wasting battery power, bandwidth, and CPU cycles. Besides all of this, they've proven themselves incompetent again and again by doing things like sending https URLs over plain text. That was a bonehead move and when called on it they said they fixed it but it wasn't fixed. I can't look past that kind of incompetence. Read all about this at the above link. Several other browsers are exposed too.

Also read Dolphin's privacy policy for a good laugh.

Last edited: