Forcing Browser to Desktop

vthokies1996

Reaction score
I used about:debug to select Desktop for webpages. When I go to ESPN, it will load to the desktop espn.com. However, when I close and reopen the browser and type in espn.com, then it still loads the mobile version.

Then if I type about:debug again, it shows desktop as being selected, if I change away from then back to desktop, espn.com loads the non-mobile version again.

Is there a way to set the browser so it will never display the mobile versions of a website? Am I missing something after I set it to desktop? Why if its set to desktop, does the mobile version of espn.com load?

Thanks

OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
Try this......

Open your browser > menu > settings > User agent > set it to desktop. This makes your browser think your on a desktop not a phone or android system.

Hope this helps.

I've tried that. Thats what I set to desktop. It works one time. Then if I close and reopen the browser and type in espn.com, it still loads the mobile version.If I want to get the desktop version to load, I have to switch it from desktop, then reselect desktop. Then espn will load the desktop version. When I close and reopen the browser and then enter espn.com, the mobile version loads again.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Which browser are you using? I have not had that problem and I am using Dolphin Browser. If you are using a 3rd party browser, I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that corrects the problem.

OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
Which browser are you using? I have not had that problem and I am using Dolphin Browser. If you are using a 3rd party browser, I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that corrects the problem.
I am using the stock browser. I tried the dolphin browser but didn't like that the address bar disappears. Is there a way to set the address bar on the dolphin browser so that it is always on top of the page?

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Ummm ya know I am not sure. I always hit the top to make it appear. Honestly I never thought about it before. I will look and let you know. Otherwise I do like Dolphin. I do know there are others out there and even heard at one point that Firefox was coming to the android market but am unsure the status of that. But to fix your problem, you may want to check into a 3rd party browser. I have read a lot of complaints about the stock browser.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to set the address bar on the dolphin browser so that it is always on top of the page?

Not that I know of. I usually use dolphin. It has a few quirks. I had to get used to them, but now I think it's the best browser for the droid.

xScope used to be the best about 2 months ago the updates actually started to make the thing worse. I may check it out from time to time, but dolphin seems more robust.

Steel is OK, but it crashed on me one too many times. It doesn't have any advantages over dolphin IMO.

Opera is amazingly fast. I really want to use it, but it just isn't ready for prime time. I am really looking forward to the non-beta release.