browser as homescreen app?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is this even possible??

I just spent the last hour trying to help someone on the phone, who has a rooted LG ally. I rooted it for them in November and all has been well until today. The phone was rebooted and when it came back up this person could not get to any apps. It took a while to determine that the browser is what comes up when the phone is swiped to unlock. The home-key and back-key do nothing and near as I can tell this is because the browser is the desktop app. We got a FC on the browser once, and when we clicked OK the browser came back up. No market, no settings (other than the browser settings), and I'm stumped. My thought is go into the recovery tool and do a factory reset. I think the phone will remain rooted, but I'm not sure. The phone is 3.5 hours away and the next time I'll be near it most likely will be Easter unless it get mailed to me. Thoughts?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can you ADB and change the name of the browser (.bak) to keep it from opening? Then you could clear defaults, and/or install another browser. I'd check some of the other forums, as I recall you could brick one of the lower end phones with a factory reset after root. (Not sure which one though)

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can you ADB and change the name of the browser (.bak) to keep it from opening? Then you could clear defaults, and/or install another browser. I'd check some of the other forums, as I recall you could brick one of the lower end phones with a factory reset after root. (Not sure which one though)

I rooted it with tools on my computer. I can't even try a rename with terminal emulator because the only app we have access to is the browser. The owner is not tech savy at all. Bricking the phone wasn't something I considered. I was thinking a factory reset and if that doesn't work it can be mailed to me. The alternative is to just mail it to me in the first place so I can witness this browser homescreen first hand. ADB is a good suggestion, at least I can always rename the apk back if that does no good.

If not a factory reset would a wipe of cache and data have the same brick risk? No rom was applied, just root for wifi tethering capabilities.

Odd to be sitting on this side of the fence, asking for help :)

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Launcherpro expired so popped up a web browser. Within the text on the browser was info to go and download the updated version via a link that directly opened the market. I found this out this morning when I decided to switch back from miui to ss and I encountered the exact same situation. The problem being it won't install and trying to cancel the download FC's the market. I used root explorer to rename launcher2.apk to bak and then had options when hitting the homekey. Still trying to get my phone going then will get the other one going later today...but we're out of the woods now.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Launcherpro expired so popped up a web browser. Within the text on the browser was info to go and download the updated version via a link that directly opened the market. I found this out this morning when I decided to switch back from miui to ss and I encountered the exact same situation. The problem being it won't install and trying to cancel the download FC's the market. I used root explorer to rename launcher2.apk to bak and then had options when hitting the homekey. Still trying to get my phone going then will get the other one going later today...but we're out of the woods now.

I heard about the this particular issue with Launcher Pro expiring, several times recently. One fix, someone mentioned was to navigate to another website(I don't remember what it was) and there was a link to download ADW launcher from the market. Then once you downloaded adw you could get back to the home screen and uninstall Launcher Pro in the settings.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App