Broken Screen

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Last week while on vacation at Michigan's Adventure, I dropped my Gnex and shattered the lower part of the screen. Phone still worked and got me through the vacation. When I got home, I got in touch with Protect Cell which was the insurance I decided on over Asurion. After a few questions and $70 off my debit card, I was assured that a replacement phone would be over nighted by FedEx. Sure enough there it was on the porch last Tuesday. Opened it up and what appeared to be a new Gnex. Took the SIM card out of the old phone and into the new phone and I was in business.

Well, I noticed after reloading/restoring the files on the new phone it started to act peculiar. I was getting freeze ups and random reboots. I would wake up the phone and it would freeze and then reboot. Loading an app half the time would cause the phone to reboot. My old Gnex never did that. Sure I would get an occasional reboot, but nothing like this! Then yesterday the audio went out on games and A/V apps like Youtube, Netflix and Crackle. That was it for me. I called Protect Cell and told them I had a junk phone and described the problems I was having. The guy I talked to was very understanding and apologetic saying something like this has happened to him in the past. He took my information down and informed me that another phone would likely be sent out either Friday or Monday with the latest delivery date of next Tuesday.

I remember some of the complaints people were making about their Gnex phone with sporadic reboots and unstable performance and how it took 2-3 replacements before they got a decent phone. I thought there was some embellishments on the problems people were having after the Gnex release because I was having nowhere near these problems. Not even close. Well, it looks as if Karma has caught up to me at last.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes. I'm actually on my 5th replacement. This one is pretty good but still drops 4G occasionally its the best I've got since my release day Nexus (which was perfect until one day I could no longer send/receive texts) so I'm debating replacing it or not. The quality control is seriously sub par. If I didn't love the development so much, I'd have given up already.

I've found that most have better luck with the Korean hardware 9 Nexii. Hardware 10s and the China models tend to be the ones with the problems more often than not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I had to get my first replacement last week, was the first time ever I had to use insurance (My nexus took a bounce on some concrete and didn't like it).

I had heard horror stories about Asurion replacements.

I got lucky I guess because the one I received is actually working better than my original one, signal and touch response are much better.

Plus I did my claim online in less than 5 minutes and the phone was at my door in less than 24 hours.

I guess I should of thrown the phone against the wall like I really wanted to so I could of gotten a better phone sooner than I had. (Not a recommended method of replacement):p

But still if this thing was built as well as my OG droid I came from I would still have the original that beast had taken a spill down 2 flights of concrete stairs, fell out of my pocket on a loading dock and dropped a good 6-8 ft. Dropped on asphalt and still worked like a champ and all it had to show for wear was a couple of small dings on the edges.

And my wife is still using it like a ipod touch on wifi.

I guess they just don't make them like they used to.:frown:

smokeyrd

Reaction score
Devin, you reminded me of a sort of funny story...I dropped mine at the top of an insanely long escalator at a convention center. I went up 2 stories (think convention center ceilings of 40+ feet). Long story short, I went up, my phone went down down down...down...down some more. It got to the bottom, got picked up, and the guy at the bottom offered me cash and a new phone for my old device. Turns out that Motorola was having a meeting of some kind on the other side of the center and this guy was one of their marketing people. Thats the story of how I got my X upgrade from OG. Granted, the phone was in one of the rubber-ish cases so that took the brunt of the beating but apparently the phone was used as a demo of "classic motorola quality" The End.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Keep getting replacements until you get another good one. No need to suffer!

OP
Stormy Knight

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Well, I had a fantastic surprise. I wasn't expecting my second replacement until at least Monday at the earliest, but there on my porch come Saturday was a package from Protect Cell. Been running the new phone since Saturday night and not a spontaneous reboot yet! Think I got a keeper!!

Thank you Protect Cell for your help and speedy service! You have lifetime free advertising from me here on out!!