Broken power button: How can I wake with camera or volume keys?

nka

Reaction score
My power button is busted. I've had the phone since 11/09/09 so I'm out of warranty. I'm trying to figure out hardware and software tweaks so I can sleep/wake the device with the camera or volume keys. I know I can slide the keyboard to wake, but that's cumbersome.

I found this post, but can't figure out how to figure out this step:

# First, check out which file that your device is using.
cat /proc/device-tree/System@0/Keypad@0/name
I don't even know what System@0 etc means

I have installed Quickboot, Screen Off and lock. I tried Lockbot, but that didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks.:icon_ banana:

meishkov

Reaction score
My power button is busted. I've had the phone since 11/09/09 so I'm out of warranty. I'm trying to figure out hardware and software tweaks so I can sleep/wake the device with the camera or volume keys. I know I can slide the keyboard to wake, but that's cumbersome.

I have installed Quickboot, Screen Off and lock. I tried Lockbot, but that didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks.:icon_ banana:

/system/usr/keylayout/sholes-keypad.kl is the file you want to edit.
Key 107 I believe is the power/screen on/screen off button on top of the OG Droid, which I assume you have. I tested this before because my power button I can't even feel when I press it down to turn the screen on or off. Change that to GRAVE I think, or KILL, or maybe just leave it empty. To the right of POWER, I think its WAKE_DROPPED or WAKE not sure . Then the 2 at the bottom, 211 and 212. Focus and camera. Next to them put WAKE_DROPPED. Then mount system r/o of course. Then reboot.
This is all done in root explorer. I have no idea how to do it in terminal emulator or ADB or if its even possible.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
N

nka

Reaction score

/system/usr/keylayout/sholes-keypad.kl is the file you want to edit.
Key 107 I believe is the power/screen on/screen off button on top of the OG Droid, which I assume you have. I tested this before because my power button I can't even feel when I press it down to turn the screen on or off. Change that to GRAVE I think, or KILL, or maybe just leave it empty. To the right of POWER, I think its WAKE_DROPPED or WAKE not sure . Then the 2 at the bottom, 211 and 212. Focus and camera. Next to them put WAKE_DROPPED. Then mount system r/o of course. Then reboot.
This is all done in root explorer. I have no idea how to do it in terminal emulator or ADB or if its even possible.

That worked! And you should leave the to the right of POWER blank. I wish I could reprogram the camera button completely, so it would just replace the power button. With an app called "Screen Off and Lock" I can set long press of the search button to sleep, or press on their widget. And wake up with the camera button. It would be nice to do it all with just the camera button, but I'll take it. Thanks.

meishkov

Reaction score
Really? Maybe try WAKE for one of them. I'm pretty sure when I tried it to see if it worked that screen on and screen off both worked. I never tried holding it in for reboot or recovery or power down.

OP
N

nka

Reaction score
Really? Maybe try WAKE for one of them. I'm pretty sure when I tried it to see if it worked that screen on and screen off both worked. I never tried holding it in for reboot or recovery or power down.

No dice. Its alright though. At least I have the camera button working to wake.

bhaz

Reaction score
My power button is broken too, how can I even turn my phone back on? It's not working

OP
N

nka

Reaction score
My power button is broken too, how can I even turn my phone back on? It's not working

Try removing the battery then hooking up to wall charger

DROOIID

Reaction score
There is a script you can run to turn your camera button into the stand by button. Search for it on xda forum.

Never mind I see you guys got it working

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh MIUI

OP
N

nka

Reaction score
There is a script you can run to turn your camera button into the stand by button. Search for it on xda forum.

Never mind I see you guys got it working

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh MIUI

Well not totally working. The camera button wakes but doesn't put the phone to sleep. So doesn't have true standby function. Do you know if the xda script does both? And would you mind posting a link if so?? Thanks