Bringing in other system apps

snipazer

Reaction score
So, I just got a Droid Incredible and I love it overall but there's a few things I don't like. For starters, I don't really like the messaging app. I really like the stock Android messaging app. So my question is, if I brought over the messaging.apk file from another phone, could I install it on my Incredible? I want to do this with the messaging app and the music app. Thanks!

Humpa

Reaction score
So, I just got a Droid Incredible and I love it overall but there's a few things I don't like. For starters, I don't really like the messaging app. I really like the stock Android messaging app. So my question is, if I brought over the messaging.apk file from another phone, could I install it on my Incredible? I want to do this with the messaging app and the music app. Thanks!
No, but just get Handscent or ChompSMS. Those are both signficantly better than Android's.

There are many variations of the music apk that have been put out since last year. I think some of those can be installed without having to root, but I'm not sure. For the music app, I use a 3rd party app as well, since those are better than Android's. I use the cubed (^3) music app/player.

OP
S

snipazer

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have tried both Handcent and Chomp and I really don't like them at all. I really do like the stock one...

I do have Root by the way. I used cubed for a while but I didn't like the interfaces too much. I'm picky, I know. I do like doubleTwist and I'll stick to that if I can't get the stock music app.

Is there really no way to bring over the stock one?

Humpa

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have tried both Handcent and Chomp and I really don't like them at all. I really do like the stock one...

I do have Root by the way. I used cubed for a while but I didn't like the interfaces too much. I'm picky, I know. I do like doubleTwist and I'll stick to that if I can't get the stock music app.

Is there really no way to bring over the stock one?
I don't have any idea. I just assumed you'd prefer something better - it seems the masses like Handscent/Chomp, so figured you would. I barely text, so I don't pay much attention to the sms apps.

OP
S

snipazer

Reaction score
Ya, everyone seems to really like those apps but they just don't do it for me. The layout looks too clunky. The SenseUI one looks clunky to me as well. Thanks for the suggestion though! I may just have to try it out for myself and see what happens!

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
there are many different themes for handcent.. but to each his own. good luck with your task, let us know if it works.

OP
S

snipazer

Reaction score
Looks like it didn't work... I brought over the MMS.apk from my Droid to my old Ally and now it doesn't work on there. So good thing I tested it!