Bricked phone?

fichdak

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was using my Droid and dropped it.. whoops. It was frozen so I popped out the battery and restarted it and the Motorola "M" splash screen was sort of off to the side and there was a bunch of rainbow-y pixels in the bottom right corner. (see image) and it won't boot.

img3650t.jpg

Holding the x button and the power button doesn't start up clockwork recovery like it should...

So as far as I know, there's nothing I can do other than restore it with an sbf file (unless it's a hardware problem)

Does anyone have any suggestions? All I really want to do is back it up before trying to restore it or bring it to VZW. Is there any kind of safe mode or way to do something through ADB or am I sh** out of luck?

Thanks, and sorry if this is in the wrong section

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I say take it in if thats under warrenty or have insurance. They will either flash the .sbf and it won't work, or they'll figure out it's a hardware problem and replace it. Either way you will most likely get a new phone. I wouldn't do the .sbf as you may be stuck with a fresh phone and it slid over to the side, which IMO would give them the suspicion that you have previously tampered with your phone before you dropped it, so you tried to flash the .sbf to fix it.

iPirate

Reaction score
I am going to go with hardware error. Dropping it couldn't alter the software to offset the M from the middle but faulty hardware could...

What did you drop it from? 747 mid flight?

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
I am going to go with hardware error. Dropping it couldn't alter the software to offset the M from the middle but faulty hardware could...

lololololol I dropped mine twice since I've gotten it and neither time its done anything at all, this thing is a tank

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

lololololol I dropped mine twice since I've gotten it and neither time its done anything at all, this thing is a tank

I've dropped mine down a flight of stairs and it landed on the hardwood floor at the bottom. Not a scratch!

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
very nice. I unfortunately did get one tiny scratch on my phone, but it was because of keys in pocket with it. Never make that mistake again.

jgumphress

Reaction score
You would think that when we got older we wouldn't drop our toys any more. But I guess we never grow out of that. I've dropped mine twice now but both times it was on the carpet at home with no damage.

OP
F

fichdak

Reaction score
It was only like a 3 foot drop which makes it suck even worse haha.

Hm, I'm using ADB pull to get everything off the phone. First it said error no device found, then it warned that some of it might be corrupt, but now it seems to be working... I'll fill you in when it's done dancedroid

EDIT: any way I can do a nandroid backup or something similar through ADB or am I best just pulling /data and /system to my hard drive?

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Even if you can retrieve your info, you do know that you'll have to return it to stock before you bring it in if you want to use a warranty? As long as your comp is recognizing the phone that shouldn't be an issue. ;) keep us posted, and good luck

OP
F

fichdak

Reaction score
Well I didn't even bother reverting to stock because I figured they'd never know if the phone didn't even turn on...

Went to Verizon today and guess what!

As soon as I got there and turned on the phone to show to service guy, the logo was back to the middle of the screen, and the phone booted up just fine. I swear, I must've rebooted it a million times over the past 24 hours and that's the first time it worked.

Oh well, at least the phone works :p

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
lol dodged a bullet there didn't ya? Too funny... Good thing the verizon guy didn't boot it up for you, bye bye warranty.

cubssuck1908

Reaction score
I was trying to install my first ICS ROM and although it said installed, I was never able to get past the 4GLTE boot screen. When I tried to restore my nandroid backup from, it got stuck on the same screen. Now when I press the volume down button to boot into recovery, it asks me to install update. When I say yes, it installs, restarts, hangs up on 4GLTE screen. When I say no, it just reboots. It won't allow me to do anything else? How can I even begin to restore something now??
Somebody please help here.

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
First off, you are far from bricked and came to the right place for help. Try the usual things? Battery pull, wipe cache and dalvik cache again, just to make sure, then try booting again.
Still no dice? Did the rom that you installed, instruct you to flash a PH98IMG.zip after installing? You should check the instructions, as it seems you are missing the boot image.

As far as restoring your backup, its a semi-complex process, because when you flashed the new ICS rom, it updated your mainver.
Your mainver is the code that your phone looks for, when it tries to load the boot image. If it's a lower number than what is currently programmed into your phone, it won't allow the update PH98IMG.zip file to load, hence your phone won't boot properly. In order to restore your backup, you'll have to change the mainver in the file of your backup, to at least the same as your current one on your phone. The highest number that I've seen in a rom is 3.10.605.13, so if you change the mainver in your backup to this, it should load just fine. Click the link for changing the mainver below. It's instructions for changing a new rom, but they are exactly the same as changing your backup as well.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...9-mainver-problems-not-anymore.html?highlight

Good luck and report back.