Breaking:Google to acquire mobile phone maker Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion !

jhumbo

Reaction score
Clearly Google is making this move to be in a better position to compete with Apple by having control over hardware.

As others pointed out, I hope this doesn't hurt HTC, Samsung and the other vendors. I imagine that Google probably still views its core business as software/information so they will probably do what they can to continue to support the other hardware vendors and keep Android an open platform.

What will this mean for Googorola phones? Here are my thoughts on some of the speculation that I saw above in the thread:

• I suspect they will move away from MotoBlur to stock Android, but doubt that will happen in the short-term.
  • I suspect phones will still stay locked as the carriers are the ones insisting on this and that doesn't change just because Google is the one selling the phones.
  • Quicker time to market and earlier release dates: If they move away from MotoBlur, then this should help, but I really doubt this will change too much. The Motorola culture will still stick around for quite some time.