Brand Spankin' new-bie...

Tortoise

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I joined the site, because I've been searching for info, and felt this forum has the most info... and apparent help/support.

I have a Droid X, and just installed Gingerbread... accidentally! Actually, my husband heard it was "so much 'awesomer'...!" Needless to say, we lost our wi-fi tethering capabilities, and I'm confused by all the "technical" talk. I'm not technologically savoy... so I could really use some one-on-one help on getting rooted and what-not. Anyone out there in the Salt Lake area??? If not, anyone with the patience to walk a 'tortoise' through it? I do not understand what "SBF", etc is. I'm not afraid of voiding the warranty - I'm more afraid of not being able to tether to my PC, easily... or without paying a pretty penny fo it! Anyone up for the one-on-one challenge?

Anxious to hear back... and hopefully gain knowledge on how to enjoy my Droid X, to the fullest. Thanks!

Tortoise

OP
T

Tortoise

Reaction score
Follow the link below, this is the easiest way to sbf back to froyo .

Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

After youre back in froyo you would have to flash the 2 zip files then flash deodexed and you'll be in rooted gb

Thank you, but I apologize... I seriously was lost as soon as you said '...easiest way to sbf back to froyo.' I don't know what this means. That's the problem. I honestly do not know anything, when it comes to technology - and my phone. I appreciate the quick response, though. I wish I had someone local that I could just hand it over to, and say' "please, fix it!"

I haven't clicked on the link you suggested, yet... so I guess I should do that, and see if the explaination is found in there. As for the rest... I don't typically flash anyone or anything... so I'm unfamiliar with how to flash the 2 zip files, deodexed, etc... I DO know that gb stands for Gingerbread, though! :O) I'm sorry for my ignorance... believe me, it frustrates me, too!

saul1991

Reaction score
haha no wories I personally dont do wifi tether so I dont know how that works hopefully some one else comes along and can help you with that. but to get back to your previous version (froyo) before you updated it to gb. you would have to sbf back to it. sbf takes youre phone back to out of the box settings as like the first day you bought it. its really easy jsut follow and read the instructions before you actually try it. and dont worrie about the flashing the 2 zip files i missread your question and wifi tethering doesnt work with gb or its being tracked by vz.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When do I get to spank the newbie????? :Ddancedroiddancedroid

OP
T

Tortoise

Reaction score
Thanks, again! I clicked on the link recommended, but I'm still confused. When I tried the 'Download' link provided in the post, (the froyo link) I went to another site that had WAY TOO MANY CHOICES for downloadable "things". It's frustrating to someone like me... who gets frustrated so easily! :O)

All I know... 'a friend of a friend of a cousin of mine', showed me how I could tether my phone to my home PC, through the Wi-Fi, by tapping the hotspot icon on my phone, entering a "special" phone number on the dial pad, and clicking the turn off/turn on button on the bottom of the screen it automatically went to. Then, my husband said, "Ooooohh, a new OS that makes everything faster and better! Here, I'll download it for you, honey!" Now, I can't tether... and I'm stuck using my internet at the office... or settling for a really, really tiny screen, (I have bad eyes) for surfing the net. Hubby meant well, but when it comes to this sort of thing... he knows even less than I do - so we are stuck, to say the least.

Any Droid X owners, that have experience in teaching a Kindergarden-like adult how to fix this? I mean, literally step-by-ever-so-slow-moving-step?? OR, has this already been done, and someone can provide the thread link?

Feel free to "spank the newbie", anytime... dancedroid:biggrin: